We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite places to stay at Disney

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite places to stay at Disney

Hi.

My husband has just returned from a conference. He stayed at Contemporary Disney. We have never been to Disney however, we are now thinking about going. We have a teen son so kiddie items not important. I'm the only one who has been to Disney over 20 yrs ago. Where a good place to stay and some must dos. Thanks!

World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Specialty Shops
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Specialty Shops
IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite places to stay at Disney

Hello Ohio,

If you would like to stay on a Disney property the Yacht and Beach Club Villas are great and the location is the best. It's a 5 minute walk to Epcot and a quick boat ride to MGM Studios. It's also located on the Boardwalk which is nice to stroll along in the evenings grab a cup of coffee or dinner. The Grand Floridian is another beautiful resort which is located on the monorail system.

For an off property resort check out the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, or the JW Marriott. For a wealth of information along with this forum go to www.allearsnet.com and www.disneyworld.com

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,414 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite places to stay at Disney

We've stayed at the Contemporary, the Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Port Orleans, French Quarter. We like them all, really enjoyed watching the animals outside our room at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Contemporary was light and bright, good size rooms, fun to watch the monorail in the hotel. Liked the Polynesian volcano pool, weren't super excited about our room as it seemed dark. Port Orleans French Qtr. had us feeling like we were in New Orleans, rooms were clean and bright, and since this is classified as a "moderate" resort, prices were not all that bad. But, all rooms have either 2 double beds (not queen) or 1 King. Deluxe resorts have at least 2 queens and some 2 queens and a daybed. So many choices, its hard to make a decision.

So much depends on your budget, your interests, what parks you plan to visit, etc. I suggest you do some research on www.disboards.com, the Disney Resorts forum for one but there are many forums on that board that can answer your questions and then some. Many many opinions, reviews, on most anything Disney.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite places to stay at Disney

The first thing you want to do is establish a budget. Then decide which parks interest you the most, because it's convenient to be close to them. Ask yourself questions like, do I want to have immediate access to a wide variety of recreational facilities, or am I just looking for a place to sleep with a great pool.

If you are on a budget, I recommend Pop Century. You have access to the Disney transportation system, the Extra Magic Hours for resort guests, resort wide charging privileges, package delivery, etc. The rooms are basic, but functional, and there are great pools.

If you can spend a little more, upgrade to a moderate resort. I recommend Port Orleans in this category (I like the French Quarter, but a lot of people like the Riverside section more.). You get everything mentioned above, with additional dining and transportation choices and a plusher room. You will enjoy spending time at the resort as much as spending time in the parks.

If your budget will allow, then by all means, upgrade to deluxe accommodations. The rooms are larger, you will find amenities such as marinas with boat rentals, tennis courts, spas, more dining options, and the deluxe resorts are usually located the closest to the parks for convenience. In this category, if you think you'll spend more time at Epcot and MGM, I recommend the Yacht & Beach Club. They have a great pool complex, and with the Boardwalk right next door, there is plenty to keep you entertained. If you think you will spend more time in the Magic Kingdom, any of the monorail resorts are great, as well as Wilderness Lodge. If you are the "outdoorsy" type, it can be great fun to rent one of the "cabins" at Fort Wilderness.

You can also book rooms in the Disney Vacation Club Resorts, which are Disney's timeshare. I recommend the one or two bedroom units, as you will have at least twice the space of a regular hotel room, plus kitchen facilities for when that teen gets hungry! In this category, I recommend the Beach Club Villas, the Boardwalk Villas, or the Villas at Wilderness Lodge.

You can use any of the recreational facilities at any of the resorts (with the exception of their swimming pools) regardless of which resort you are staying in. So if you are at Pop Century and you want to go horseback riding at Fort Wilderness, you can do so. If you haven't been to Disney for a long time, the best place to start (other than right here on the forum) is on Disney's website.

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,414 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite places to stay at Disney

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'll be sure to check out the websites.

OhioTrav