We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

British family of 4 (2 adults 2 children aged 9 and 5)

We are in Orlando for Thanksgiving this year and we are looking to do something special and traditional for the occasion. I would be grateful for suggestions so that we can make arrangements asap.

We are staying at Southern Dunes, Haines City, FL 33844 but have transport and will travel within reason.

Thanks in advance

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

On Thursday, which is Thanksgiving, there is nothing more traditional than having a big turkey dinner. Finding a restaurant...maybe a hotel restaurant...should not be a problem, but it's too early for any of them to announce their T-Day menus now.

The next day, shopping on Black Friday (the biggest shopping day of the year) is also a tradition (of sorts). Try it, but do your planning and get up (very) early to snag the best bargains.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

We have only had Thanksgiving dinner at two places:Peabody and the Gaylord Palms,both of which are very nice. Usually we cook it ourselves at the Staybridge Suites LBV. You can also order a pre made Thanksgiving dinner from any of the local grocery stores;Winn Dixie,Publix,etc.Also traditional is watching the Macy's parade on tv and watching football.All the Disney restaurants serve some variation of Thanksgiving dinner;I would go with Artists Point at the WL or Narcoosees at the GF. And we always go to see the Osborne Lights on Friday-too fabulous for words but not for many many videos on youtube

Manchester
Level Contributor
817 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

Good post as we are in Orlando then too. What time roughly is the Macy's parade?

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,758 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

The Macy's Parade in New York is broadcast on NBC and is usually from 9am to 12 Noon. Universal will get some balloons from the parade and will have their own parade at Universal Studios as part of their Christmas celebrations usually starting first weekend in December through New Years with the parade beginning around 5pm or so. Ordering something from the grocery store is not a bad idea. You might want to check opentable.com closer in. They may list which restaurants which participate on the site have special menus for that day. Gaylord has a great buffet any time of year. I think the only time I've ever eaten out on Thanksgiving and not at home or a family members home was when we went to NYC to see the parade in person. We had Italian that night :)

Orlando, Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

Here is a website that tells you about locally-owned restaurants serving traditional Thanksgiving dinner in Orlando. Right now they have a list of restaurants open last year, but as Thanksgiving get closer, they will update it with information for this year.

restaurant-events.com/orlando/thanksgiving-d…

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

Brian C

You have mentioned "Restaurant Events" in every single one of your five posts for different cities in the U.S. What's up? Is it your web site you are promoting?

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

Probably the same mindset as all the "DEs'" who recommend nothing but Disney hotels,Disney restaurants,Disney transportation...easy to disregard everything they say as tainted.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

We go 14th Nov and return 28th Nov.

Is it possible to book Thanksgiving dinner at Peabodys a couple of days before or is it best ot try to make a reservation when we arrive on the 14th.

Ay suggestions gratefull. many thanks

ajg

Manchester
Level Contributor
817 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

We go around the same dates and I think we're going to try to book before we go - via email hopefully. I guess it gets busy so want to ensure we've got something fixed up but hopefully someone who's been can confirm.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando for Thanksgiving, ideas please

The Peabody gets booked up very quickly-I would contact them ASAP to see when you can reserve for Thanksgiving diiner,certainly don't wait until a couple of days ahead. Their buffet is really worth it and has a nice holiday spirit...we have enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinners there but we reserved at least 6 weeks ahead of time.Have fun,enjoy the turkey dinner,football and Macy's parade