We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with Infant

scunny
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Flying with Infant

Can anyone give me advice how your flights went to Orlando with an infant. I fancy taking my wife and my daughter who will be 18 months old.

Do airlines allow you to pay for seat as I don't want her sat on my knee for like 9-10hours.

Any tips and thoughts wud be great.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
1. Re: Flying with Infant

my dil and 18month old son have just been to russia and son was able to get him his own seat so am sure it wont be a problem.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
2. Re: Flying with Infant

my dil and 18month old son have just been to russia and son was able to get him his own seat so am sure it wont be a problem.

scotland
Level Contributor
368 posts
3. Re: Flying with Infant

Yes, you can pay for a seat and, despite the cost, I would think it would make a big difference. Haven't ever taken a young child, but lots do and I'm sure there will be many posters along soon with lots of good ideas to keep her entertained.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
4. Re: Flying with Infant

Va
Level Contributor
12,230 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Flying with Infant

Yes, you can buy a seat for your child and the airlines actually suggest that. It is much safer than sitting on your lap. You can take the chance going with a lap child that the seat next to you may be empty, but that is a big risk. I couldn't imagine 9 hours with a child on my lap. That would be brutal.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
6. Re: Flying with Infant

Sorry don't no why it posted 3 times

Horsham
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Flying with Infant

yes you can purchase a seat for baby, but it will be at full price.

We have done both, I am a foster carer in the UK and have taken this age a few times.

I would say if you can afford it, get a seat for your daughter, but take a blanket like a picnic blanket with the plastic backing or, and I know this sounds silly but a couple of pegs, as if the seats are leather, (and we had this once), the baby kept falling of the seat as it was slippery.

When we did not purchase a seat, we made a bed up under our feet, which I know sounds weird but she slept like a log for a few hours, which was wonderful. We used the free blankets and pillows from airline, and took her favourite blanket from her cot.

Hope this helps

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Flying with Infant

As others have said you can buy a seat. However we flew in May with BA and were able to book our seats in advance and book a child seat for our 1 year old which basically folds out of the bulkhwad of the cabins at know extra cost.the only time she needed to be out of this was take off, landing and when the turbulence started.

I would recommend this.

9. Re: Flying with Infant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 08, 2012