We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
936 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

Has anyone from UK had experience of this account?

Trying to find the best way to withdraw cash in USA and I already have Citibank Euro account which I can add a Dollar account to. Citibank have a vast array of ATMs available in Orlando (Publix, Walmart) so access is excellent and there's no commission/withdrawal fees.

I've searched the forum and there's little mention of Citibank dollar account and wondered if there's a catch?

The top recommendation is to get a prepaid card but they charge withdrawal fees so at the moment Citibank looks excellent.

J*

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Special Offer
Icon Orlando, Madame Tussauds, and...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

I have thought about opening one of these accounts, but to be honest, for a 2/3 week holiday once a year, I think its a bit extreme opening a full bank account. The main thing that really puts me off, is that the account doesnt support faster payments, so if you want to transfer more money into it, you have to wait 3-5 working days for it credit (you cant pay into Citibank branches in the US), whereas with my pre-paid card, it credits almost instantly. I guess if you go to the US a lot, it may be a good idea.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
936 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

I already had the Euro current account and had option to add the dollar & GBP savings accounts - opened instantly!

I'll give it a try, will transfer cash over now into GBP account and just have it sitting there to move over to $ account as & when I need to as transfers are instant.

Rugby, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

i've just opened the same account for my trips to florida as i thought it would be an excellent risk free way of carrying money around. Online transfers are instant and easy.

I figure i'd just carry Dollars for the small things and use my card to pay for larger things as that way there's no fee and i can control my spending by just putting what i need into that account.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

I have a citibank account with dollar and sterling so I can send any spare money from my normal current account there over the interweb and move it over to dollars when the rate is good. I have had this for a few years now and it works well unless your card doesn't work properly and you are ringing up a call centre in India. But it is great and even though Publix says it charges when you take the money out when you check your statement it is fine - no fee taken.

I think it is brilliant but then I was able to put money in when I worked in London but it is just as easy to do it online now.

I had my fingers burnt with the Crown Currency fiasco to the tune of a grand so this method is a lot safer.

Diana

scotland
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

Hi, We used the prepaid Caxton dollar card last year and it worked out really well. This year that is all I am taking and some small change for the way out of the airport.

We didnt get any charges for using the ATMs - there was one in Walmart and Walgreens but to be honest i didnt take much cash out and just used the card to pay for items.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
936 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

Thanks for replies, very helpful as I'd wondered why there hadn't been much said about this account as an option.

Citibanks exchange rate is better than the prepaid cards so seems the best option for us.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

jameos

do you know if you can put dollars in to your citibank account when in US? I have dollars and thought I might be able to deposit them when I get there.

Thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,852 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

I use HSBC now, and have a USD acct tied to my UK one and transfer the money online.

9. Re: Citibank $ account for withdrawing cash ATMs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 05, 2012