We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 14yr old !!

Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 14yr old !!

Why is my 14yr old not excited about this trip? It's his first time and he's upset that we're going on a "kid" vacation.... Do you suppose he'll change his tune once we arrive?

Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help with 14yr old !!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! He is excited about going to see the Braves and Yankees while we're there... so that's positive! I'm going to take your advise and ask him to help us with the planning.

I'm sure this will be a wonderfull vacation~ for all of us!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help with 14yr old !!

I have a 15 year old daughter and what we did was we put a ton of suggestions to her and let her pick...what we are going to do is

1. Universal Studios

2. Medieval Times Dinner Show

3. Shopping!!

4. Swim with the Manettes (in Crystal River)

5. Clearwater Beach and a ride on the

SeaScreamer (largest speedboat in the

world)

6. Ghost Walk Tour

7. Still undecided between Epcot or Animal

Kingdom.

5 more weeks to go but whi is counting.....

WV
Level Contributor
566 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help with 14yr old !!

I am going through the exact same thing right now! I will be traveling with my 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter. I have spent so much time planning this trip - not to mention money, and my son complains Disney is for little kids. He shows NO excitement whatsoever. I am so afraid he will not have a good time. At the same time, I did Disney my first time as an adult for my anniversary and I KNOW there is fun for all ages. Now that I think about it "lemstar" is right. Other than sports, my 14 year old tries hard NOT to get excited about anything. Is it a "I am too cool" faze? In any event, I told my husband that everyone on the trip has to pretend they are having fun.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help with 14yr old !!

dedesmom-I have 3 teens and I told them before they graduate they could each pick anywhere in the world they wanted to go.

Last year the pick was rent a motorhome and do all amusement parks in California. This year I was hoping for a cruise or Paris, but we're going to WDW. Kids are strange beings sometimes.

Mays Landing, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help with 14yr old !!

You are not alone. I have a 13 and 16 year old and we have gone to Orlando for the past 2 years and are going again in April. My kids nixed Disney after their one trip there in 2000. I agree with the writer that suggests letting your 14 yr. old check out sites where they might want to go. We have truly done a lot there. Mine really liked a hot air balloon ride taken last year (Orange Blossom Balloons) as well as dining at the Sleuths Mystery Dinner Theatre and The Arabian Nights. (Enjoyed Pirates Dinner Theatre the prior year.) This year they "voted" on the ones we will go to, and we will be returning to Sleuth's. Forget Wet and Wild unless you go when it opens, quickly get on all the rides, and prepare to exit when you can't even find a place to sit.Helicopter rides there were fun too. Two years at Univeral was enough for them. It is a better park than Disney for that age as the rides are for the "more mature." Last year, at SeaWorld, my kids were ready to go after riding Kracken. (They did like Discovery Cove though.) This year we are going to try the Snorkeling with the manatees and a wakeboarding training session. I no longer try to surprise them with what I think will be fun for them because that usually makes me miserable. Good luck.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Help with 14yr old !!

How about shopping, what sort of stuff is he into, tell him about all the things that may be available in America that he can't get here. Since we've been a couple of times before my 16 year old is looking forward to shopping this time and is trying to accumulate as much spending money as possible to buy clothes.

ESSEX UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Help with 14yr old !!

My daughter will be 17 this year and for the past 2 years has considered herself far too cool to be going on holiday with just her parents. We have had to take a friend with us,to keep her happy.

We haven't been to Florida for 4 years and I suggested we go this year.

I haven't seen her so excited about a holiday since we last went to Florida. There has been no mention of any friends needed, and she has happily told all her friends ar college that she is going to Florida, with just her parents.!

The moral of the story is however cool they think they are, they don't seem to be too cool for Florida.

In my opinion, it is absolutely one of the best places for teenagers.

Don't worry if he's not excited now, I am sure that will change when he gets there.

Fayetteville, AR
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Help with 14yr old !!

Don't worry, he will perk up once he is there. You can't help but be happy once you get to Disney World. I have posted this before about taking a group of high school seniors on a trip there a couple of years ago. Several of them (boys) weren't as excited as the others (girls) and they really weren't excited about Magic Kingdom. We hadn't been on the property good (still on the shuttle from the airport) when they started seeing different things along the way and you could see them change before your eyes. They had a fabulous time and Magic Kingdom ended up being one of their favorite parks because of the variety of things to do and Spectromagic and Wishes. There was one boy who never really get excited about anything and I never could really really tell if he was loving it as much as everyone else, but about a week after we returned home his mother told me that he had not stopped talking about everything he did and showing them pictures. So even if he doesn't turn cartwheels on the outside, odds are he is on the inside. Have a great trip.