We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December weather

Nashville, TN
3 posts
Save Topic
December weather

We are planning a trip the week before Christmas with kids ages 8 & 6. Will we be able to enjoy the swimming pools? We have not decided on a specific hotel. Any suggestions?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December weather

Unless there is a major cold snap, the pools and waterparks are just fine. All Disney pools and waterparks are heated in the cooler seasons. My kids have gone swimming down there in January even when temperatures were in the 50's- 60's. Great until they have to get out of the pool! Even at offsite hotels most pools are heated, but you need to check to be sure. I know of a few nicer hotels around Disney who's pools aren't heated. Enjoy your trip!

va beach
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: December weather

it is pretty cold then. we have been there 2x. you will need long sleeve shirts.pants and a light sweatshirt jacket. bring extra to layer if needed. it is definitely too cold for water rides,most are closed anyway. it is also way to cold to swim outdoors. heated pool or not.

look for a hotel with indoor pools.you wont have much time to swim anyway since the parks usually close early. be prepared it is packed and lines are long.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December weather

I had to respond the the reply from Va. beach, these poor people must have been at Disney during two bad cold spells! We've been to Disney World 8 times during the past ten years, all during December and January, and combining all the trips (7-10 days each trip) I can count on one hand the number of days we've needed long shirts/ long pants. (I have put a sweatshirt or jacket on a few times at night, and my legs have been a little cool early some mornings.) Cold weather can happen, but check weather information websites to see the temperature averages during December. Average highs are in the mid-70's! Even for us southerners who hate cold, even cool weather, this is shorts wearing weather! (You will find most people in the parks are wearing shorts) We've experienced more days in the 80's and 90's than in the 50's and 60's. The water parks are open and there are plenty of people there. Disney sometimes closes one water park during this time for yearly maintainance,(check their website for closings) but the other is always opened, and the water is heated. Also the hotel pools are heated and many people are using them in December. My advice is to check the weather forecast for Orlando before you leave. Pack a little of everything, (including swimsuits) we mainly take shorts and t-shirts but we also take 2 pair of long pants, and a few long sleeve t-shirts, a light weight jacket, plus a sweatshirt, or two, just in case. (take plastic rain ponchos, too so you won't have to pay big bucks at Disney) Also, the previous reply stated that the parks would be crowded; this has not been our experience during the week BEFORE Christmas. In fact, just the opposite. People start arriving a day or two before Christmas for the Christmas-New Years Holiday week but before then the park is not crowded, it is great! It is beautifully decorated for Christmas, plus not crowded. I know that the week between Christmas and New Years is horrible, tons of people. We always head out of Disney by December 23rd! We are planning to be there again this year the week before Christmas. We will be prepared for any kind of weather, but from our experience we expect that we will probably have good weather. Have a GREAT Trip!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December weather

Oh, about hotels. Disney is offering great rates on their hotels up to Christmas Day. (I think you must make your reservations this month.) With small children it would be best to be at a nearby hotel just in case you need a break, have an "accident", etc. My friends and family prefer the Disney Moderate-priced hotels. (but at the great rates being offered, it wouldn't be hard to swing for a "deluxe" Disney hotel.) The rooms in the moderates are larger than the value hotels plus a little closer to the theme parks. All of the Disney hotels have very nice, heated pools. Most are "themed". Even if you decide on one of Disney's value hotels, the pools all have great themes that the kids will love. There are pictures of them on the Disney World website. Also, there are non-Disney hotels that are an option. The "Downtown Disney" area hotels are close to the parks and offer a great bus service. (basic hotel decor, however) The Holiday Inn Sunpree LBV is also less than a mile from the Disney entrance and is very family friendly. They offer themed "kidsuites"; large hotel rooms with kitchenettes, plus the kids have their own "suite" with bunkbeds, TV's etc. The hotel also has a child care center with lots of fun activities for kids when parents need a break. There's a ton of info. on the internet to help you decide what hotel is best for your family. Good Luck and have fun!

uk
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: December weather

we are going to orlando on december 30for a week we are wondreing how it will be then after the hurricanes and how busy it will bee then

chicago, il
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December weather

We just came back yesterday from visiting the Mouse (he told me to say "See you real soon". We stayed at Coronado Springs (moderate). It was a lot, I mean a lot, of walking, there were several pools (all quiet pools except for the main one). The Dig Site Pool was on the other side of the lake. They have shuttles, if you can find one before you walk over to the pool. We did find a cockroach in our room, but with all the rain, i guess it's 'normal'. We are going back in Dec also and are staying at Caribbean Beach. We've stayed at All Stars, too many kids, too loud for us. (we have a 6 year old and one year old).

No doubt, Xmas time is the best time to go, it's great, especially if you like Christmas. We were there 3 years ago and we did swim (I don't really remember the water being heated, but I may be wrong, I think it is just the main pools that are heated). We stayed at the Disney Institute (which is now a timeshare). Yep, I would suggest a few pairs of pants and a few sweatshirts, but i would also suggest a few sleeveless shirts and bathing suits too. The weather is very very unpredictable. You know, bring 2 sweatshirts, 2 pairs of pants, and a windbreaker, it wouldn't over load the suitcases. If needed, wash them or wear them twice, or go ahead and buy a $38 sweatshirt for the kids. (Yes, they are $38 for a kids size and $54 for adults). The laundry service is expensive ($2.00 for a pair of SOCKS, $6.50 for a shirt, this is laundry, not dry cleaning).

Three years ago, we stayed at All Stars, the pool was heated, people did swim, but I only like to swim when I am HOT, which was not the case. If you like to swim, for something to do, then yes, you can swim. At Xmas time, swimming definately wasn't the highlight of the vacation for us.

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Coronado...
6,663 Reviews
Orlando, FL
chicago, il
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December weather

My folks and brother were there last year on Dec 30 and 31st. My brother works for Hewlitt Packard and wanted to see the HP ride. It was EXTREMELY EXTREMELY crowded. Actually, that week is the most crowded time of year, it's pretty much a fact. The 31st is a New Years Party. My parents (in their 60's), said they would never go there at that time of year again, it was literally shoulder to shoulder. If you like crowds and waiting in line... it'll be great.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December weather

Oh... I don't know about the effect of Ivan, but Disney area is just fine. No real noticeable damage, just minor. You'll notice some of the trees have wood supports to hold them up. Other than that, we came back on 9/13/04 and only noticed a bit of damage in the surrounding Orlando area (closer to the airport and Universal).

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Cardiff UK
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December weather

cold?

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: December weather

We have had many December visits to Disney with our most recent last month. The temperatures ranged from 60-70 with only one day of light rain. All the Disney pools are heated so even though the weather can get chilly in December you can still swim. The week before Christmas will not be as crowded as Christmas week and you should be able to get lower rates at a Disney resort. If you booked before December 19th you use to be able to receive the value rate, however I just noticed Disney has now added a pre holiday rate during this time. For a moderate resort our favorite is the Port Orleans Riverside and for a deluxe the Yacht and Beach Club is the best! Check them out at www.disneyworld.com

For the poster who asked about crowds December 30th, it is very crowded, however if you utilize your fast pass options and stay in one park per day you should still be able to get in all you want to.

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans...
9,385 Reviews
Orlando, FL