We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunpass Mini

Portstewart Ireland
Level Contributor
402 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Sunpass Mini

Has anyone used the Sunpass mini sticker instead of paying the rental car companies charges as the toll are now cashless.

Dollar charge $37 per week plus tax, what a ripoff.

How do you activate the pass if not from US or Canada.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
325 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunpass Mini

Without a U.S. or Canadian mailing address and driver's license you can't activate a mini Sunpass account as of yet. I read there was talk of expanding the program outside of North America but there hasn't been any progress.

Without a transponder you will quickly rack up toll charges (you generally save $0.25 USD at every booth if you have a transponder) and $37 actually seems reasonable if you will really be using the toll roads. As an area commuter I spend almost $50 a week even with the discounts.

If you are mainly staying near the attractions and really won't be driving that much I would recommend getting $20 in quarters when you arrive. The exact change lanes have much shorter lines than the staffed, change lanes.

Portstewart Ireland
Level Contributor
402 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunpass Mini

I thought they were now all cashless tolls .Are correct money lanes still available.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunpass Mini

Highways 528, 417, and 408 (the major toll roads in orlando) still have cash lanes at the toll booths. You can drive up to the "cash and receipts" lane if you need change, or "exact change" if you have coins.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunpass Mini

Michael,

All toll exits in Central Florida take cash except two. Some require exact coin. Quarters work best.

Both of the cashless tolls are on the Turnpike. One is in south Orlando from the Turnpike to 528, but if you stay on the Turnpike for another mile you can exit to the same place and pay cash. The second is at the Turnpike's Kissimmee Park Road exit. If you get there and have to get off you're stuck. The next exit is over thirty miles away. However, the only reason you would be there is if you are going to my favorite air boat ride and the alternate directions are on their web site.

If you are staying in the Central Florida area there is no reason to activate the SunPass. If you are going to Miami, it will pay for itself in one trip.

CTR

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunpass Mini

But as I read reply 1, non-US residents (or driving licence holders) can't use use a Sun Pass. So, for cashless tolls, we're stuck with the rental company's option - which, as Micheal67 says, is outrageously expensive if Dollar's your renter. Is that right?

6. Re: Sunpass Mini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 03, 2012