We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis and car seats

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
taxis and car seats

we're taking car seats over for my 3yr old and 6 yr old. what would happen if we wanted to get a taxi somewhere? We couldn't lug the car seats around so would the taxi company supply them or would i just sit the 3yr old on my knee and put the seat belt around both of us. don't like the idea of it but don't know how else we would do it as i don't suppose many taxis carry car seats esp the big fixed seat she's still in.

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: Icon Orlando...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: taxis and car seats

I called Mears which is Orlando's largest taxi and shuttle company and spoke with the customer service department.. I was told by their customer service that they do not provide child safety seats in their shuttles or taxis.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxis and car seats

i dont think they will accept resposability in case of an accident..

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxis and car seats

that was really kind of you VisitOrlando thank you. I think we have to either not get a taxi or accept the little one will be on my knee. Stange to think when i was a child we used to travel in the boot, in between the front seats, anywhere there was a space basically. I sure the chance of anything happening is very small but you just like them to be safe.

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxis and car seats

Your 3 year old will be safer sitting on the actual car seat with her own seat belt than on your knee. If there was an accident she would also have the impact of your body as well as you both risking the seatbelt not working properly. We have occasionally taken taxis when ours were that size and I would strap them in then put my arm around them too, partly to hold the shoulder belt in place.

Lou73

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxis and car seats

thanks lou73 thats good to know. are you going over this year again?

6. Re: taxis and car seats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 01, 2012