We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Guide Mike vs Touring Plans

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Tour Guide Mike vs Touring Plans

We're going to Disney World in early May for the first time and I am considering a subscription to one of the planning websites. Which one do you recommened? We're going with a 5 year old so don't want a very rigid schedule but also trying to minimize waiting time in lines.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Guide Mike vs Touring Plans

I subscribe to both and like how Tour Guide Mike expands a bit more on why a park is a best park or one to avoid. He doesn't provide step-by-step plans though. It's also the more expensive of the two.

Touringplans tends to update more often though and I like their Lines app. With Lines you can look at a day that would be similar to yours and see how fast and where the lines build over the course of a day.

If you want to build your own plan Tour Guide Mike gives you more to work with. If you want a pre-made plan touringplans.com is probably a better choice.

I'd probably subscribe to Tour Guide Mike and then get a hard copy of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. Most libraries have it and the book has guides for the restaurants and hotels as well as the parks.

USA
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Guide Mike vs Touring Plans

Thanks. Just to clarify, I am not looking for hotel or dining suggetions and we already planned which park on which day using the free schedule on Touring Plans. I just want to know how to schedule the rides/show

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Guide Mike vs Touring Plans

I think Touring Plans might be right for you. It will give you a step by step guide to touring each park and you can customize it to suit your family. Just don't take it too seriously because these plans can be a bit rigid for most people. It does work though. We used them a lot back when our kids were in school and we could only go for a week and during summer vacation.

Here's one of the free sample plans so you can check it out:

http://touringplans.com/plans/37179

It also has a little chart that shows you which rides you should do first and which you can save for later in the day. I copied this out and carried with us

Happy Planning!

Edited: 2:47 pm, April 12, 2011
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,516 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Guide Mike vs Touring Plans

Both have their fans. I used touringplans along with their Unoffcial disney guide book.

Their plans were valuable in helping us avoid the lines.

5. Re: Tour Guide Mike vs Touring Plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, October 30, 2012