We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Can old River Country be seen?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Can old River Country be seen?

I remember years ago camping in Fort Wilderness as a child and taking the boats to Magic Kingdom. I can remember seeing along the way a bit of River Country and passing the dock for Discovery Island. Of course, these attractions are only a fond memory, but I was wondering if you are still able to see them from the boat? I have some first time friends camping at Fort Wilderness, and I think they would get a kick out of looking for areas that were once open to the public.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,706 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Can old River Country be seen?

You can apparently see some of it from the water in the Ft. Wilderness area:

www.youtube.com/watch…

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Can old River Country be seen?

It's still somewhat possible to see River Country from the boats.Well, what's left of it at least.

I can't remember for sure, but I don't think the Discovery Island dock is there anymore. But I think there is still an old 'shipwreck' on/near the island.

My post on this thread (tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k4206764…) has a couple of links to people doing 'urban exploring' at River Country and Discovery Island.

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Can old River Country be seen?

Wow! Thanks for those links! It was both fascinating and saddening to see the photos and videos of what has become of these two attractions.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,706 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Can old River Country be seen?

I did not start going to WDW until River Country was closed, but I have to ask after reading about it: Why did Disney get rid of something that was close to resorts and parks, and then just leave the land sit unused? Were they planning something else for it 10 years ago?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Can old River Country be seen?

Good question Gopenguins. I hope somebody knows the answer.

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Can old River Country be seen?

This isn't a definitive answer but I imagine that River Country wasn't dynamic enough to compete with other water parks and that its old- fashioned charm was overtaken by the desire for bigger, better, faster, etc.

I remember everything looking a bit run-down when we went there in the early '90's; my DH gashed his foot on a jagged bit of the paddling pool.

Discovery Island's closure was caused by the opening of Animal Kingdom, I think, and the animals were said to have been relocated to the new park. It was a shame - DI was a lovely laid-back place with charming little animal/bird shows, a big aviary and a sandy beach where you could have a picnic lunch.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Can old River Country be seen?

I think I mentioned a little bit about it in my post on the other thread, but Riveer Country was closed because of naegleria fowleri (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri), a rather nasty little parasite that lives in lake water/still water in Florida (this is also the reason you can't swim in Seven Seas Lagoon anymore). The major stuff was dismantled, and I think a couple of the slides found new homes at resorts, but overall, it was cheaper to just leave everything, and let nature 'reclaim' it.

Discovery Island, as Disneyveteran mentioned, was closed when AK opened up. It was unfeasable to keep Discovery Island open as a standalone, when AK had the same stuff, so the animals were relocated, and DI was closed. Again, cheaper to leave what was left than to do a mjaor cleanup.

Edited: 1:12 pm, March 07, 2011
Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
48 reviews
8. Re: Can old River Country be seen?

I'm happy to say that the brain-eating amoeba mentioned by Zife didn't get into the gash in my husband's foot....unless....!!!

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
60 reviews
9. Re: Can old River Country be seen?

Would that explain a lot Disneyveteran? :-)

Apparently, chance of major infection is really low. Disney just needed to cover itslef, just in case that 1 in 1,000,000 chance happens.

I guess I'd prefer that than going to Disney and coming out infected...

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: Can old River Country be seen?

It would give him an excuse, Zife!