We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, West...
Level Contributor
489 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

For thoses who don't know about this deal and it may only work for us Brits here it is;

I went to Thomas Cook to get the new AMEX travellers cheque card and they informed me that if I got a $1000 card during the promotion I would recieve $100(i think) bonus added within a few days and the card would cost £15.

But the deal I went for was the $2000 card that you then get $250 bonus free and you get the card for 1/2 price (£7.50).

I went home and checked AMEX website there is no mention of this deal, but another deal where for each $1000 you deposit onto the card you recieve $70 (not as good a deal as the un-advertised one).

I kept phoning to check my balance and within 5 days I had my extra $250.

Thomas Cook did not know when this offer would finish as it was AMEX that was running it. Weird that I can't find any info on it except through my local travel agent.

Hope this helps people.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

Are you saying if I have $2000 to spare i can get a card, get $250 bonus then use the card and put $2250 back into my account makeing $250 doing nothing ?

Halifax, West...
Level Contributor
489 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

Hi ads

I've not read all the small print as I've got none that's directly asociated with this offer. But I do know that after approximately 3 years your card expires. You then have the choice to transfer any remaining funds onto a new card or you can redeem the remaining funds back into your bank account.

There may be a small admin charge for this, but I'm sure you would still have earned a few free $s.

I guess if they let you redeem your money before the card expires, they will have covered their backs by stating you can only spend the free dollars.

If I had the same idea as you then I could probably argue the case that I have not been told or shown anything or signed anything that states I have to spend the money.

birmingham
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

I just checked the Amercian Express website and also the Thomas Cook website and they have no mention of free money.

Is this offer available in all Thomas Cook stores or just certain branches?

london
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

hello gilders ive seen this deal also in sveral travel agents windows i hope its still around in september!!. another thing can this card be used in the shops to pay for goods? so they just just the bill from it ? i guess thats how it works maybe?? an extra 250 bucks will come in handy no doubt!!!

Halifax, West...
Level Contributor
489 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

For the last 2 posts:

1) I never saw it advertised. I was suprised to find out when I went in to purchase the card and the lady told me about it. It is NOT a Thomas Cook offer she said, so I presume other travel agents will do it.

2) The lady didn't know when the offer would run out. If you have the cash now I'd get one soon.

london
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

sadly i dont have £1900 now wish i did the exchange rate is looking ok fingers crossed it goes up in september!

birmingham
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

The exchange rate would have to go up a hell of a lot to beat $250 of free cash tho, so i think i'll get mine now rather than wait for the exchange rate to go up.

Halifax, West...
Level Contributor
489 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

leec1 didn't answer all of your questions.

The card can be used in any shop or anywhere that accepts the regular American Express card.

If you are running out of funds on it you call the free phone number to top it up directly from your bank account.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

What I don't understand is why people still take travellers cheques. The new card sounds very similar to cheque so why not just use you cash cards or credit cards.

birmingham
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free money on American Express Travellers cheque card

Just phoned my local branch who informed me the offer ended on Sunday. She seemed to think it was across all Thomas Cook stores.

Anyone know of any other travel agents who are still running this offer?