We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with VIrgin. What should I take??

Randalstown, United...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with VIrgin. What should I take??

Hi im just starting to about our 9 hour flight from London to Orlando and in particular keeping my 2 yr old comfortable and entertained.

Ive read that virgin give kids a goodie pack is this true and what can i expect in it?

Do they provide cushions and blankets for all passenger or should we bring our own?

And lastly I know we should bring on plenty of sweets and treats but is the food what a child would eat or should I consider bring something proper ie sandwiches etc...

Any help much appreciated

Cinderslg

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,971 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with VIrgin. What should I take??

Food is basic airline fare but the kids meals always look better than the adults to me!! You need to pre-order though

You get an amentities pack with the usual toothpaste/brush, eye mask etc and a pillow and blanket.

Headsets are free but you give them back at the end of the flight.

Kids do get a back pack thingy with crayons etc, have a look on the VA website for further info

virgin-atlantic.com/en/…index.jsp

Edited: 8:40 am, January 14, 2011
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with VIrgin. What should I take??

kids meals on VS flights is usually chicken nuggets on the outbound flight and spaghetti on the return for dinner.

the K-ID packs are usually in the gate area before you board and will contain crayons activity books and a few other items.

all passengers will receive an amenity kit on both flights containing toothpaste toothbrush and socks.

the entertainment system on some o the Gatwick fleet (which also fly from Manchester) is a little dated but all the airbus aircraft will have the new system with kids TV channels on. i believe there are Disney channel programms on the system at the moment.

enjoy your flight and holiday

C

Randalstown, United...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with VIrgin. What should I take??

Thanks for the help all hopefully we will have a hassle free flight!

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with VIrgin. What should I take??

I would take some favourite books, a teddy bear or similar and maybe some plain paper for drawing on. The kids packs dont really have anything for young children apart from maybe a small bag of sweets and some crayons.

I would also take your childs usual cup, you will be able to take a young childs sippy cup or bottle through security filled with their preferred drink if you are prepared to taste it. There arent in my opinion any toddler friendly drinks on board.

brighton, england
Level Contributor
488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying with VIrgin. What should I take??

To be honest don't rely on virgin for anything "useful" to entertain your 2 year old. The Kid id bag contained a pen that split into crayons which was frankly a choking hazard, a plastic digital watch, a reading book and the bag from what I remember from what I remember of our trip last may. It's really aimed at 8-10 year olds not younger kids sadly. We amused our kids with magazines bought at whsmiths in the airport which had small toys attached. Also those packs of 5 small hardboard books were useful. My son spent most of the time taking them out if the box and putting them back in. If you have an iPhone (or similar) download some child friendly apps as this can entertain them for HOURS!!!

Pillows and blankets are provided but if you can be bothered to carry a proper pillow you will not regret it.

For both my kids I packed them each a small rucksac with "surprises" in them to pull out when desperate. Fill it with lots of little boxes of raisins and smarties etc. Also crayons, favourite small toys etc.

It is also a good idea to feed them properly before the flight as the kids meals although nice, are again aimed at slightly older kids and weren't brilliant for younger ones. They do usually have nice puds though!

Personally I found lots and lots of snacks much easier and entertained them especially during take off and landing. especially those in little packets/containers. They can eat properly the rest of the time!

Good luck! X

essex
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying with VIrgin. What should I take??

If I may I would suggest you take a packed lunch, sometimes the food for small children is not really something they like.

My daughter used one of those thermal bags and made sandwiches, she also cut up cheese and cucumber and grapes, these were a god send as the meal they were offered was not very nice.

A portable DVD player and some Disney DVD's helps keep them entertained, and may even help them drift of to sleep for a few hours.

Have a good holiday.

7. Re: Flying with VIrgin. What should I take??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 18, 2012