We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone ever come across this before?

England
Level Contributor
640 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone ever come across this before?

I was just checking out a few prices for a holiday in November and decided to look at Travel City Direct.

As it’s close to Xmas I decided to see what I could get for my money.

I was presently surprised to see that if I went first class and I stayed at pop century the whole deal came in at £3310.00 for a family of 4. And the service (on paper) does look very impressive.

I then checked the cheaper option of traveling in the economy seats for the same holiday and that came in at £1760.00 which again seems good.

(Both the above prices have had the car hire deducted as I don’t drive in the USA)

Now ive never used Travel City before and I’m not saying I will do.

But the main thing that struck me as being strange was this.

If I travel First Class the room for the 2 weeks at Pop Century costs me £781.00

But if I travel in the economy seats the same room costs me £432.00.

Why is it that if you travel first class you pay £330.00 more for the exact same room? Now some people will say you should pay more because you have more money. BULL. Also you could say they charge you more because they THINK you have more money.

The point im trying to make is this.

Are they allowed to do this? To me it just doesn’t seem fare.

Vinny.

PS. I wonder what would happen if someone really got a bee in there bonnet and reported this to the office of fair trading (I can assure you I won’t be) but this has to be a discrimination of some kind.

PPS. Sorry for going on.

Special Offer
The Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Admission
53 reviews
from $25.99*
$29.29
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
14 reviews
from $49.99*
$87.87
Northeast PA
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone ever come across this before?

Are you getting the same room type with both packages or are you getting the higher priced room with the first class passage.

Northeast PA
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone ever come across this before?

The last word should be PACKAGE

England
Level Contributor
640 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone ever come across this before?

The exact same room with both deals.

And look at this.

Basic seats with Virgin and the room is £919.00

Premium Economy seats and the room is £1429.00

I always upgrade my seats and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to know I pay an extra £500.00 for doing this.

Well at least ive learnt something new today. I can promise you in future I will ask for a full breakdown in price.

Vinny

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone ever come across this before?

I almost dropped my morning glass of champagne when I read your post, Vinny. You mean that we are paying more than the poor people - good. It helps to distribute wealth.

Seriously Travel City Direct are in this to make money at the bottom end of the market and if they can slip something like this past the 'first class passengers' then they will. It is good that you have worked this one out - but secretly you knew this went on all the time. Why is it that so many millions of travellers book independently? Because they no longer want to pay hundreds sometimes thousands more for someone making a phone call or two.

However I have seen some packages on Airline Network recently that I could not possibly match by booking separately. This is the only way that the package can survive now. The hotel plus flight was cheaper than I could book the flight.

Keep up this fine consumer research. Have you thought of doing an expose on value for money on International Drive. It would involve you staying and playing there!!!

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone ever come across this before?

vinny

Did you do this online or over the phone as when I was looking i did it online and got a price, think the flight was £300 + car.

When I called them and said I wanted to arrange my own car, the flight then went upto £390. I complained and they said the more you get with us the cheaper it gets. If we had got accom with it the flight went to £250.

I bet if you ring up and quote your price then say you don't want the car the price will go up for the flight.

If I were you dont bother upgrading you seat, spend the extra money on some goodies or get a better hotel etc. Its only 8 hours.

England
Level Contributor
640 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone ever come across this before?

Hi Vegas.

You really are a funny man. I recommend a little bit of fairly liquid robbed on your trousers before you put them in the washing machine. That will get rid of your champagne stains. My maid does that for me and they come up a treat.

I’ve just been looking at Airline Networks website. I have to say it’s very interesting. I intend to spend more time on that tonight.

As for I-Drive. If I was given a holiday free to stay on that by-pass I would take it. Arrive there, book a taxi and get away as fast as I could. My 2 young sons counseling is coming a long nicely. But they did have a little relapse recently when we took a drive down the motorway, into Blackpool and purchased some burger and chips. It brought back some horrible memories for the poor little things.

Ads

I did it on line. To save on time I actually booked a car just to see what price they were coming in at. So in other words, I booked the flights, room and car and I would still have got ripped off.

I hear what your saying but its not about the money its about the fact that 2 exact same holidays are in fact so much different in price due to the comfort of the seat you sit on whilst on the plane. I fully understand why they charge more for the seat as there are less in the cabin but why should that mean you pay more for your room? It’s crazy.

Vinny

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone ever come across this before?

Unless I have read this wrongly you are or will be paying the extra of the first class on the flight.

I am a bit confused with your post as you state TCD in your fist paragraph.

Then go no to First Class, Is this First class with Virgin, Or sunshine upper with TCD. Virgin are always a lot more expensive then TCD

There is one simple answer to your plight travel Economy with TCD at £432;00 Why spend all that extra money for the same thing.

The other post may also be true that the more you buy the cheaper it becomes.

If you do not take the car, (with either company) the flight will almost certainly cost more. thats why they do it to make uneconomical to buy all the bits seperatly.

The next time i go I am going to buy accomadation in my package , I will just not use it every night. For the 4-5 days we spend away from orlando it will still work out cheaper. And I might still be able to get a refund from the hotel for the nights I wont be using it. I shall certainly ask at the front desk.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone ever come across this before?

Hi Vinny, that's ridiculous. Surely they should only charge more for upgrading the flight, not more for for the same room. Do you get a butler thrown in for that? Did you ask them for an explanation?

England
Level Contributor
640 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone ever come across this before?

XR759

I think you missed the point im trying to make. It’s not about the companies or the type of seats. If you were to upgrade then check if the room is the same price are not. It seems that after a bit of research today that most companies out there charge you MORE for your room if you upgrade your seats. SIMPLE. It’s a con and a rip off and im sure there must be a law against this. My letter is in the post to Tony Blair as we speak. (Joke)

I like to book package deals as im a bit lazy. But I think I will have to take a leaf out of Vegas book and book everything separately.

Carla5262. No you don’t get a butler with that. But that’s ok, I bring my own. While I sit in first class he sits in economy.

Vinny

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone ever come across this before?

Why not go the whole hogg and dust off the lier jet.

Its probably they think people who travel first class don't bother checking, can afford to throw money away but first in TCD is hardly first in BA or Virgin.

Go on book your own !