We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney resorts: which to choose

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ilfracombe, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disney resorts: which to choose

We are planning a trip to Disney in May. It will be my husband, myself and my 3 boys ages 3,7 and 11. I am tring to decide between the Boardwalk Inn or the Port Orleans Riverside. WHich would be better for our kids ages? My mom may go with us also. Would the Boardwalk be worth the extra money or just get 2 rooms at the Port ORleans Riverside?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney resorts: which to choose

The Boardwalk is in a great location. You are within walking distance to Epcot, a quick boat ride or walking distance to MGM, you have restaurants at not only the Boardwalk, but the Yacht and Beach Club resorts as well as the Dolphin and Swan hotels. Port Orleans may be my favorite moderate resort, but it just doesn't have all the benefits of staying the the Epcot resort area. Although transportation is frequent enough (about every 15-20 minutes) you do have to take a bus everywhere. If you have a hopper ticket, and you are at an Epcot resort, you can even walk through Epcot and take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom if you want to. You just seem to have more options. I prefer the Beach Club or Yacht Club to the Boardwalk, because of the great pool, but as far as the rooms themselves go, they are very much the same at all three Epcot resorts. Either way, you will be staying at Disney, so you can't go wrong!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney resorts: which to choose

I have never stayed at the Boardwalk Inn but according to any pictures I've seen unless you're getting a suite, I'd get two rooms at Port Orleans Riverside to have the extra space. Or if being really close to Epcot or numerous restaurants is something you're looking for.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney resorts: which to choose

I forgot to mention that the one thing I do like in the deluxe resorts is that you can get 2 queen beds. If you get two beds in a room in the moderates the biggest you can get are double beds.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney resorts: which to choose

I would go with the Boardwalk Resort as you cannot beat the location. It's a five minute walk to Epcot, and a 10 minute boatride to MGM. You always may want to consider the Yacht and Beach Club as the 3 acre sand bottom pool is much nicer than the Boardwalks. The Yacht and Beach Club is located across the lake from the Boardwalk and you can still enjoy the restaurants and shops located on the Boardwalk. Take a peek www.disneyworld.com

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
612 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney resorts: which to choose

depends on your budget. allearsnet.com has some great pictures and reviews.

Oak Forest IL
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney resorts: which to choose

My family has stayed at both and I would choose the Boardwalk, the money is worth it. The activity pool and the main building at Port Orleans can be a hike at some of the buildings. It is quiet and the quiet pool was right by our building, but the Boardwalk is so close to two parks and the dining options are much better. The grounds at the boardwalk are just nicer, cleaner and more compact. If you get a 1br suite, it has a kitchen that is not an option at Port Orleans and we went to the "convenience" store there and bought breakfast food-eggs and juice and that saved some money and saved time-everyone was fed and ready to go early with no need to than stop to feed the kids. That alone was worth it. Plus they have a patio/balcony that adds to the space. There also care washer/dryers in the rooms (i'm not sure if all have them) which was great for the inevitable accidents. Good luck!