We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Ft.Lauderdale

boo
montreal
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Ft.Lauderdale

Hi. I'll be driving from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale on a Friday. I would like to leave around 7:00-8:00am but would I get stuck in traffic. If that is the case, what would be the best time to leave.

London
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Ft.Lauderdale

It may be busy at that early time, but its reasonably fast moving traffic and you'll be out of it and into the wide, open spaces in no time.

It usually takes us just under 4 hours on the turnpike, depending on restroom stops and eateries !!!!!!!

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
637 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Ft.Lauderdale

Face it, this is Florida and there will ALWAYS be rush hour traffic to contend with somewhere, at sometime, not to mention construction. Turnpike would be your best bet, but not sure these days of the tolls and where there may be construction which will affect your speed and delay you a bit. Here is the turnpike website which can give you more information - http://www.floridasturnpike.com/.

On a good note, I discovered after my trip to WDW in May when trying to find other locations for this awesome restaurant, that 3 of the turnpike plazas have Earl of Sandwiches eateries in them, Can't remember which ones, but the turnpike site will have those locations, also.

Edited: 10:03 am, October 18, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Ft.Lauderdale

You don't say where you are departing from in the Orlando area and that can make a bit of a difference. If you are leaving from down near the Kissimmee area the turnpike route is 195 miles or about 3 hour 15 minute hours to Ft. L exits. From the airport, add about 10 minutes. From the parks are, make it about 3.5 hours drive down. If you stop, add that time in as well.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Ft.Lauderdale

I don't see traffic being a problem here. Traffic is only bad going into downtown Orlando. If you're coming from the Tourist areas South of town, which seems the most likely, you'll get into little if any rush hour traffic. If for some reason you're coming from North of town, just take the 417 to bypass downtown.

Leaving at 7 or 8 in the morning should be a pretty good time to leave, although 8 would probably be a little better to let rush-hour calm down in the Palm Beach area. I usually figure it takes 3 and a half to 4 hours to get down there, including a half hour stop at one of the rest areas.

5. Re: Driving to Ft.Lauderdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 17, 2011