We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice place to overnight enroute from Orlando to Miami keys

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
nice place to overnight enroute from Orlando to Miami keys

We arrive 7pmish on international flight on dec 30 to Orlando airport. Don't want to undertake the 5+ hour drive to islamorada where we are meeting friends for new years eve and a few days rest. Would love some suggestions. Would be willing to drive up to an hour (towards our eventual destination). We are a couple in 40s, no kids, love sea and natre, good food and comfort but as it's just an overnight don't want to spend a fortune. Help please.

Also any insider tips on places in islamorada to stay (our friends are in a villa with family but don't really know the place well). Many thanks in advance.

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Special Offer
Icon Orlando, Madame Tussauds, and...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: nice place to overnight enroute from Orlando to Miami keys

Why not do an overnighter in Miami? It's a great city with lots of wonderful restaurants. We had a great time driving down to the Art Deco district and seeing all of the neat architecture as well as the beach. Our final destination was Key West but I don't remember a whole lot in between. Unfortunately I'm not much of a nature person.

Jennifer

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: nice place to overnight enroute from Orlando to Miami keys

You would be lucky if you're in the rental car and ready to drive by 8:30 pm, so yes, I would also look for a nearby hotel for the night especially after a transatlantic flight.

Check these two websites for nearby hotels. If you're going to go on the Turnpike to Islamorada, then look for hotels in the vicinity of I-4. If you'll be travelling on I-95 then there will be lots of hotels to choose from but I-95 will be further from the airport than I-4. And from I-4 it will be easy to get on to the Turnpike the following morning.

www.roomsaver.com

www.travelcoupons.com

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,858 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice place to overnight enroute from Orlando to Miami keys

If you are off a long haul european flight at 7 pm, that will be midnight (or even an hour later ) to you. and it will take around a hour to get thru immigration, custons, baggage and get your car that time of night.

I would strongly suggest you don't go anywhere but stay the night at an airport hotel. You will be up earlyt eh next day as you wil have jet lag and think it is morning by around 2:30 am EST. You may sleep to 5-6 am if you are a truly luckly lay-about lol.

Next day you can be up and out early and even in islanorada for lunch if you use the turnpike.

Edited: 5:27 pm, October 02, 2010
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,890 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice place to overnight enroute from Orlando to Miami keys

You could stay the night at the airport in the Hyatt Regency Hotel. It is a really nice hotel, actually in the airport (look at the Orlando Hotels on TA...it's no 35/134) and we always use it after our flight from the UK. It has a really nice pool area, two restaurants and very comfortable rooms. You can get a good nights sleep, collect the car early next morning and be on your way.

We have been to the Keys many times but always start from Miami. We haven't stayed in Islamorada but are doing so next May. We have booked into the Islander Resort....(also on Trip Advisor under Hotels in Islamorada)...which looks pretty good...but it really depends on what type of place you want to stay in.

Hope you have a great time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice place to overnight enroute from Orlando to Miami keys

Many thanks all. We'll likely do the airport idea and start off early with jetlag early start..... Have decided on casa morada in Islamorada which looks perfect for us (given just us /no other family members etc) and seems well placed in terms of exploring other keys....

Appreciate all the advice and help.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nice place to overnight enroute from Orlando to Miami keys

IF you haven't booked a hotel in Islamorada yet, check out Cheeca Lodge. We stayed there many years ago and loved it! I too would sit tight in Orlando for the night in a hotel and start out fresh the next day for the drive. Enjoy.

7. Re: nice place to overnight enroute from Orlando to Miami keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:34 am, April 03, 2011