We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on our family trip with the kids

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Need advice on our family trip with the kids

Hello everyone,

This summer we would like to take 2 weeks of vacation. We are from Montreal (Quebec) and would like to to spend 1 week in Orlando Disney and 1 week beach. We have never been to any beach in Florida. One of our co-worker recommends us to go to Tampa for beaches.

This is our plan:

Take the plane to Orlando,

Spend 1 week,

Drive to Tampa,

Spend 1 week,

Take the plane back home from Tampa.

Do you think it's a good idea? is Tampa the beach we should see? we have young kids.

I heard, it's approx 2 hours drive, is this correct?

Where should we stay in Tampa? is there a nice place at reasonable price around the beach?

Thank you for your advice

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Need advice on our family trip with the kids

I agree with XR759 St Pete Beach is wonderful for a family holiday, we have stayed at the Alden too which is great, right on the beach and lots of good places to eat within walking distance, you can get the trolley up and down the beach, it is a pretty safe area, we have visited about 18 times and stayed at various hotels but the Alden is the best and very reasonable price wise.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Need advice on our family trip with the kids

My wife, I and three children vacation at Land's End on Treasure Island every summer (July) and it has been GREAT. Land's End is a 90 minute drive from Disney. The beaches are on the Gulf Of Mexico. Our unit (building 10 unit 302) was very nice, was adjacent to the large pool, and faced the Gulf of Mexico so we had a beautiful view from our bedroom and living room. I would highly recommend Land's End if you are looking to relax at a beautiful condominium resort after your busy week at Disney. You will love it.

You have the right idea to take the return flight out of Tampa (25 minutes from Treasure Island).

england
Level Contributor
180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Need advice on our family trip with the kids

We are from the Uk, we done 1 week in WDW and the drove to St Pete beach and also stayed in the Alden hotel. It was a perfect chilled week after WDW the beach was great for the kids, the hotel room was spotless staff were very helpfull. We went on boat Dolphine spotting and collected shells on shell island.

WV
Level Contributor
566 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Need advice on our family trip with the kids

Why not go to the Atlantic coast? I did Daytona - an hour away from WDW - and it was great! I prefer the east coast! Good luck - sounds like you are planning the same basic plan for vacation! I was thinking about trying a West side beach but I am becoming discouraged!

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Need advice on our family trip with the kids

Being Discouraged , by Whom.

The gulf coasts beaches are much better , and water much warmer. I dont rate Daytona or Cocoa beach as a place to stay , Both are Tacky.

Ithaca ny
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Need advice on our family trip with the kids

I've travelled a lot from upstate NY with family to Fla. and would recommend Siesta Key and Sarasota area over any other west coast beaches. Beautiful sand, quiet, amnd very family oriented. You can find very nice condo type resorts on Siesta Key in the summer for reasonable rates. It's an extra 70 miles south from Tampa, but worth the drive. If you don't want to drive as far, then go to Clearwater, rather than Tampa or St Pete.