We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to see a different side of Orlando?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
957 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
How to see a different side of Orlando?

My partner and I are taking his kids (age 17 and 7)to Orlando next June for 2 weeks. They've been often in the past but have tended to do the theme park thing. When we all went last year, we only did 4 days of theme parks, a day in Winter Garden and a day in a national park which had a natural spring where we swam with rubber tyres. The kids certainly had a great time doing that! The rest of the time we stayed at our resort and swam which was great as we alternated our days so it wasn't too repetitive.

This time round we want to try to reduce the theme parks to maybe 3 days max. What I desperately need are other suggestions for about 4 other days. Winter Park didn't go down very well for them! I think the natural spring or something similar would be fun for them, but not sure what they would think of the Kenndey Space Centre. However I think there is a nature reserve nearby and that might interest them ( or the adults anyway!). Can anyone make any suggestions? We will have a car so travelling is not a problem (although probably only a 2 hour max journey each way would be bearable for them).

Thanks!

SantsRosaBeach
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: How to see a different side of Orlando?

There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread. However, before I would go to the Dayton Speedway, I would make sure there was an event taking place. If I am not mistaken, it is pretty much closed when there is no event.

To check the schedule go here:

daytonainternationalspeedway.com/tickets/ind…

Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How to see a different side of Orlando?

artemis1, would suggest a day trip to Silver Springs since you are wanting to avoid the theme parks for much of your trip. The website is www.silversprings.com. It is beautiful and for the most part peaceful and enjoyable.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How to see a different side of Orlando?

I don't know much personally about it, but Daytona USA looks like its open yearound, (closed Christmas), is adjacent to the Speedway, and among other things, does tours of the Speedway. Check out this website:

www.daytonausa.com

14. Re: How to see a different side of Orlando?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:07 am, December 09, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How to see a different side of Orlando?

BTW, Vegas, I don't know whether there are any better tubing places in the greater Orlando area, or even what the other places are, if there are any (seems like there would be); I'm no tubing expert. It was enjoyable to me, though I prefer to only go in artificial water for the most part. I was afraid I would float into the bushes or something, and a snake would bite me. But that's just me. Part of Rock Springs/Kelly Park is a constructed "pool" that the creek (I think its Rock Springs Run, which flows into the Wekiva River) runs into and out of, and works as a nice recreation area with a little beach on it.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
957 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How to see a different side of Orlando?

Thank you everyone to all your advice. I can't believe I've had so many replies in 24 hours! We will look into everything you've suggested that is non-theme park oriented. We did Universal and Sea World last time round and Sea World will probably be on the agenda again next year because, for us anyway, it's so much more fun seeing animals than giong on rides. Although I confess I avoid the killer whale show.

I think it was something like Blue Spring, or Silver Springs that we went to for the rubber tube and swimming but would like to try another place if we can. Speed racing - not sure about that but I'm proabbly being selfish there! I think the youngest may be old enough to enjoy the Space Centre now though. We were worried he'd be bored by it when he was 5.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How to see a different side of Orlando?

TOTALLY go to Daytona Speedway. I love this place. But then again my family is HUGE race fans. I have pictures of this place too and could tell you tons of information but if your not a race fan you might not be interested. Let me know.

Andrea