We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gratuity & tip?

Nottingham
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gratuity & tip?

We are a party of 8 and I already new about the 18% gratuity that would automatically be added onto the bill. What I didn't expect was there still to be a space titled Tip

I thought the gratuity was the tip? in the first place we ate, we panicked and not wanting to affend added on a little extra.

I just wondered what others did and is it frowned upon not leave an additional tip.

Cheers

Jay

Edited: 6:09 am, May 03, 2010
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gratuity & tip?

gratuity and tip are one and the same. If the gratuity has already been added to the bill (as is usually the case with larger parties) there is no need to leave any extra on top.

It's an easy trap to fall into - happens over here also sometimes!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gratuity & tip?

18% is added, as many larger parties undertip. Yes, gratuity is your tip. And if you think 18% is enough, nothing further needs to be added. If your waiter went the extra mile for you and deserves more, feel free to leave more. I consider it bad form to leave the tip open if gratuity is already added, but they do this as some don't carry a lot of cash so want to use their cards.

Don't feel pressured to leave more- 18% is just fine.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gratuity & tip?

Gratuity is the tip, and if you have 18% already added as a "gratuity" you will be fine. I suppose if people feel they have had really exceptional service they may want to leave a little more, and add it in the additional space.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gratuity & tip?

Thanks all for your prompt replies, no more panic tipping...:0)

Cheers

Jay

Dagenham
Level Contributor
63 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gratuity & tip?

Just a little fly in the ointment........

If service has been exceptionally poor can you ask for the 18% gratuity to be reduced?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gratuity & tip?

Yes, but you would have to call over the manager.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,253 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gratuity & tip?

If it was already added and appears on your itemized receipt no need to leave additional. If you are paying by credit card, the receipts are simply set up to print that way automatically.

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gratuity & tip?

Our party of 10 has the meal plan.....so food already paid.

I assume the bill will list out the tip so we can pay cash ?

9. Re: Gratuity & tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 31, 2010