We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

Scotland
9 posts
Save Topic
How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

Hi

Staying at Disney from Thursday 24 November to Thursday 1 December. I imagine the parks are pretty busy the whole weekend but does it calm down a bit by the Monday? Anyone ever been at this time of year before?

Thanks

Scotschick

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

we were in Disney for Thanksgiving 1999 and in our wisdom thought it would be cool to spend the day at Magic Kingdom. It had to be the busiest place in the area that day. The lines were really bad even for food and paying for goods in shops. I think we only managed 4/5 rides all day. We left the park around 7pm and headed back to I drive where we were staying and couldn't get a restaurant for dinner that had a wait of less than 90 minutes to 2 hours so we ended up buying food from Goodings supermarket and heating it in our suite.

It's still a nice time to go though because the Christmas decorations were starting to go up around then and of course the stores all begin their sales the day after thanksgiving so there are some good bargains to be had.

I remember it still being busy on the Friday and Saturday, though not as unbearable as on thanksgiving itself and by Sunday it was pretty quiet again.

It may be worth thinking about something other than the theme parks to do on the Thursday.

Bok Sanctuary and Pinewood is well worth a visit and if you wait until 25/11 before you go Pinewood will be decorated for the holidays.

www.boksanctuary.org/whatsnew/special.html

Gaylord Palms resort has an ice spectacular which opens on Nov 19th

gaylordhotels.com/gaylordpalms/…IcePalms.cfm

If the weather is good on Thanksgiving (it was warm enough on our visit) the water parks may also be an option although I'm not sure if they would also be busy.

It would be worth making reservations for dinner on the Thursday so at least you know you won't be eating supermarket food!!

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

Hello Scotschick,

I agree with Gil, skip the Magic Kingdom on Thanksgiving Day. I would go to Disney's largest park Epcot because it is the largest and usually doesn't feel as crowded as the other parks. I have found Monday's to be crowded at the Magic Kingdom also so I would visit MK on Tuesday if that would fit into your schedule. Have a great trip!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

hi scotchchick

were going the same time as you. my wife tells me that sunday onwards the parks get less busy might bump into each other eh..

Scotland
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

Thanks everyone for your posts. Really useful info.

Yes Haggis, suppose we will probably bump into each other.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

Your welcome Scotschick,

Have a great trip!

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

Hi Scotscick & haggis

I am also going to Orlando on 24th Nov. Are you flying from Manchester?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

Hi Marion

No I'm flying Edinburgh then Gatwick.

Where are you staying? We're staying at Pop Century.

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

Hi Haggis.

We are staying at Homewood Suites in International Drive for 7 nights then driving down to Key West for 3 nights and

then to Naples for another 3 nights, spending our last night back in Orlando before flying home. Can't wait!!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

I've stayed at Disney many Thanksgivings, including the week after. The crowds are very heavy over the weekend, but they do go down a lot starting on Monday, and by Tuesday, you'll pretty much have the place to yourself. Your best bet, if you are staying on Disney property, is to get an early start, take a midday break to rest in your hotel, and go back in the evening. Try not to go to the parks that have early entry during the weekend, because they will be the busiest. For example, if it's early morning at the MK, go to Epcot that morning. Do, however, take advantage of the three extra hours in the evening for resort guests. Once you're past the weekend, the early mornings are OK too. Plan ahead for your meals on Thanksgiving Day, if you like a table service restaurant. They book up solid and you'll be stuck with fast food whether you want it or not.

Scotland
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How busy is Disney at Thanksgiving?

Thanks for that fla4fun

We are staying onsite and had thought about returning to the hotel during the day as we have a 3 year old. Good to hear that it does get quieter the beginning of the next week. Were there in June for 2 weeks and it was absolutely mobbed so would be nice to go when its quieter (once Thanksgiving is over).