We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice on first trip to disney world!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
need advice on first trip to disney world!

We are planning a week vacation to WDW in March. We have the airline tickets already but having decided on hotel or anything else. We have a 5 year old and one year old boy. We would like to see all of disney world but need to be frugal. Any tips on meals, transportation, hotel are welcome.

Anyone know of Cypress Point Grand Villa Resort? I saw an ebay auction for a week for really cheap (wondering if its too good to be true...?)

thanks!

Mallorca,Spain
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: need advice on first trip to disney world!

I suggest you stay in a Disney Hotel as you will have no extra costs as regards to transport and no hassel as the buses stop right outside the hotels and parks, this will cause you less headaches taking into account you are going with 2 small children. The cost of the hotel maybe a little more expensive but it really worth it.

Have a magical time.!

stevenage herts
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need advice on first trip to disney world!

or you could look at staying on i-drive maybe at embassy suites etc some of these have free transport to parks but if no transport offered to disney you can always prebook transport through mears, also this way you will more choice of resturants around you...which ever you decided i hope youhave a wonderful trip.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need advice on first trip to disney world!

We had relatives stay at Cypress Pointe Grandvillas in July. If it is a one bedroom, it is very tiny, maybe 500 square feet total. The bedroom portion is hardly bigger than the bed; the "living room" includes a pullout couch which if pulled out, blocks the bedroom door and goes into the little kitchen. The bathroom was OK, but I wouldn't stay in the 1 bedroom with more than 2 people. But the 2 bedroom should be large enough, if that's what you saw. It is a timeshare resort, so there's always a possibility that they could solicit you; make sure this isn't a "have to attend the presentation to get the rate" trip. My relatives were not solicited though (they did book it through Coastal Vacations; don't know if that made a difference). The layout is nice; the villas surround an area with two pools and jacuzzi's, and there is a 9 hole mini golf course with a little waterfall and a nice pavilion area. There's a grocery store within walking distance of the resort. So if you can get the 2 bedroom and avoid the presentation (or don't mind going) then I recommend it.

Fayetteville, AR
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: need advice on first trip to disney world!

If it is your first trip and you have little ones and you are on a budget, I highly recommend All Star Movies. It is soooooo cute. Your 5 year old will be amazed at the HUGE characters everywhere and even your 1 year old will sit up and take notice as it is all so big and colorful. If you are looking to save money, the Disney value resorts are great because they have rated competitive with other off-site properties, they are really really cute and you won't have to rent a car or pay parking fees. They offer shuttle service to all parks. You can also get a mears shuttle right to the front door of your hotel for a reasonable rate. They have a good food court with lots to choose from. If you are dining on a budget with little ones I recommend the following counter service restaurants:

MK--Cosmic Ray's (they have some singin puppet aliens to entertain you while you eat), Casey's Corner or Pinochio Village Haus.

AK--Pizzafari or Flame Tree BBQ

MGM--Pizza Planet or Sunset Ranch Market

Epcot--Sunshine Season Food Fair, Electric Umbrella, Le Cantina de San Angel, or Liberty Inn

You can see menus of these and other places on the following URL:

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm

The Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney is not low cost but if you could swing it at all your kids would LOVE IT!

oxfordshire
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need advice on first trip to disney world!

When it comes to frugal meals I and many others I'm sure have 'liberated' extra rations from the buffet style breakfast at the hotel for consumption later in the day. Initially it didn't feel 'right' but having seen so many people doing it so openly it seems it's almost expected, as long as you don't overdo it. The main benefit is that you can select the items that you know your child is going to eat rather than pay an extortionate amount for something which ends up in the bin and the child is still hungry.

connecticut
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: need advice on first trip to disney world!

I agree with trecord1, consider the All Star Movie Resort. It's very cute and fun! I think I am most likely the only one who will say this, but I really didn't think food prices in Disney were all that bad! It's just like going to any other park, at least in my opinion! I'm sure your 1 year old can pick off everyone else's plate, so you can save $$ there ( i know that is what i will be doing)!! We too are going in March and have three boys! Have a great time! I know I will!!!

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: need advice on first trip to disney world!

thanks for all the suggestion! I really appreciate all the inputs.

Now that I have some ideas about lodging, I need some input on transportation:

1)How does the transportation works in dinsey resort? If I stay at the all star movie resort, is the bus right there or would we need to walk a block or two to get to the free shuttle bus? And does it run every 5 minute or 30 minutes?

2)If I stay away from disney resort, would I be stuck in traffic jam every morning going to the theme parks' parking lot? Or are the roads to disney world several lanes to facilate traffic?

3)Does disney world allow stroller? I am thinking of bringing the double stroller as I know disney world is HUGE so my little ones can rest their legs if needed to...

thanks!

england
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need advice on first trip to disney world!

hi disneycrazy2

Cant comment on transport as I have never stayed onsite but I am sure others will help you on this one. Look back to previous postings also for detailed info.

Yes take your double stroller for little ones as they will get tired and its also good for storing drinks. snacks. change of clothes etc. You can hire in park but understand not that cheap over 7 days and of course you can identify your own easier when you leave it in parking area when you go on rides. It will be safe to leave it but of course do not leave any valuables on board.

If you stay offsite you may/may not get stuck in traffic but Disney have it pretty well worked out and most times no problem apart from the usual delays perhaps in leaving at end of evening. At the time you are going though things should be OK.

We have had no problems really apart from over Christmas/New Year but even then not a major headache.

Have fun.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: need advice on first trip to disney world!

We have a 1-year old and a 5-year old, as well, and just got back from WDW. My advice:

1. Stay at WDW. Do the budget All Stars if you have to. WDW transportation is a huge plus when you want to take a break in the middle of the day for naps, etc. You can take the baby back to the hotel while hubby stays out with the 5-year old.

2. Get the Disney dining plan. You'll eat like kings and not ever have to pay for anything if you do it right.

3. Consider leaving the stroller at home and rent a double stroller in the parks. It's a huge convenience not to have to deal with a stroller when getting on and off the shuttles, and well worth it to us.

Anything else you have questions about, just ask!

Fayetteville, AR
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: need advice on first trip to disney world!

The buses come right to the front of the resort. If you stay off-site you will be in more traffic than you can imagine. Disney property is huge and crazy to navigate. You would also have to pay to park everyday. They do allow personal strollers but they are a pain to lug on and off the buses. I recommend renting. On the first day you rent them you can go ahead and pay for the entire week so you don't have to wait to pay everyday. They give you little tickets. Their strollers are big, push easy and have storage compartments for your junk that you tend to accumulate during the day.