We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Mercado - Int Drive

UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The Mercado - Int Drive

Not been for 3 years but love the Mercado when I was there - just heard from a friend that it is virtually closed down with empty units and hardly any restaurants left!!

Is this true or is it just because they went Oct/Nov and it was a quiet time for tourists?

Gray Line Orlando
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Stone VIPS
Sightseeing Tours, Movie & TV Tours
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Mercado - Int Drive

We spend time on I drive each January and always drop by the Mercado as it was one of our favourite places on our very first visit many years ago.

Over the last 5 years or so there have been gradually less and less shops/restaurants etc. In fact when we dropped by in Jan this year we parked, walked straight round without going in to any of the shops which are left and were back in the parking lot in less than 10 minutes. I was really disappointed, even the china and glass shop (may be called the Looking Glass) didn't have enough in the window display to entice me in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it re-developed soon, I think the only busy(ish) place is the Cricketer's Arms!

UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Mercado - Int Drive

Hi, we found exactly the same thing (first two weeks of October). It was such a dosappointment as I spent a great time there in '98 around the shops.

The entrance to the Titanic exhibition is there now - not much else :-(

sheffield
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Mercado - Int Drive

went there last week to see titanic exibit and mercado is to put it mildly a dump its just been left to rot,fountain has broken tiles and does not work and the whole place is just crumbling,i think if it wasn't for the titanic they would just shut it down and level the ground

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Mercado - Int Drive

I was there on sunday evening, having a last pint in the british pub. The center is really run down compared to Prime and Primium outlets, dunno what the future holds for this place. Also Point orlando is undergoing some kind of re-development, not a lot to do there either.

Brighouse, United...
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Mercado - Int Drive

We visited the Mercado in August (didn't stay). We were told by a customer services guy that the Mercado is going to be completely refurbished starting early 2006.