We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

london, uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

Hi there. Have just left Seaworld and needed to pick up the I4 westbound towards Tampa. I think we just about picked up International Drive then we had to drive for a few hundred yards on the 528 to connect to the I4 but the sign also showed the "Toll Road" sign. Obviously, there were no toll booths on that part of the road but we are concerned that we may unwittingly have driven on a toll road & receive a fine. We have a hire car but no toll pass. Any help/advice would be greatly received. Thanks everyone :)

Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Special Offer
The Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Admission
53 reviews
from $25.99*
$29.29
kansas city
Level Contributor
614 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

If you didnt have to stop or slow at a toll booth to throw coins in you do not need to worry about it.

Edited: 11:07 pm, December 20, 2009
london, uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

Thanks for that blackebob. As a matter of interest, is it possible to enter a toll road midway and leave before you reach a toll booth, if you see what I mean??

kansas city
Level Contributor
614 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

If you enter a toll road you will either get a ticket to pay at exit, or you will have to prepay for your route.

london, uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

Thanks again. Happy Holidays!

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

We've run tolls twice on previous visits to Florida. On our first ever visit we drove though the sunpass (prepaid) toll lane by accident. On a subsequent visit we had just left the airport and arrived at an unmanned toll and had no coins to throw in the bucket.

We heard nothing further on each occasion - no fines etc. I don't know if we were just lucky or whether there is a certain amount of leniency with tourists.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,937 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

Toll road managers are moving toward phasing out cash collections in favor of drive-through with license plate cameras for enforcement (I think the side lanes for cash will remain for some time). Policy seems to be to not harass tourists.

Toll gates (the new models are overhead structures) are contrived so that anyone entering a toll road will pass through at least one barrier. You need not worry about innocently missing a toll.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

Actually, they do now 'harass' tourists.

There are incidentsw reported here, where many miss a toll on the 528 (as they are now hard to see you have to exit to pay the toll) and people have been charged by car rental companies after they have returned home. They are charged $25 for a 50c or $1 toll including a 'Service charge'.

In your case I think you joined 528 just before I4 and there was no toll to pay. But you can call and ask if you have violated there in Florida and pay right then explaining what happened and you just pay the toll, not the $25 charge.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,937 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

I apologize for not thinking to mention bad stories about car rentals. I think there have been several from Orlando. It could be worthwhile to do a search. (Google has a site-specific search option that might usefully supplement TA).

I don't recall which companies have levied high fees. I'd think that by now, managers would realize that customers hit with such fees are unlikely to return.

That short segment of 528 appears to be toll free, based on the Expressway Authority's maps:

expresswayauthority.com/corporate/…Maps.aspx

Edited: 6:19 am, December 21, 2009
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

Blue, bTW that is the website to go to, to find the number to call and report you accidentally went thru sunpass etc as so many tourists seem to do.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll Road Violation on 528???? Please help!!

One of these toll booths on 528 from the airport is easy to miss and many first timers miss it.

Toll managers are not tolerant of theses . everyone is a rouge in their book. They automatically just claim from the car rental company . Who as Amanx said charge the renters CC with the toll plus a $25 service charge.

They seldom contact the renter to hear if this is justified and they become judge and jury. At the same time using small tool charge issue to swell their own coffers.