We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando to New Orleans February next

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando to New Orleans February next

Hi Folks

We are planning on a road trip Orlando airport to New Orleans 13th Feb, arrive around 4pm and drive to New Orleans and back- 12 day trip. Happy to drive for one/two hours out of MCO and take it from there. Would love advice/ any ideas where to stay - mid price range/ nice bars meet local people. Also where to stay in New Orleans with a hire car without car park cost.

Best regards

quinner

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Special Offer
Icon Orlando, Madame Tussauds, and...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando to New Orleans February next

Hi ! the only thing we can tell you is that it is a looong ride. We started early in the morning from Orlando and we got there way after the dark.

But its a great experience. And new Orleans is sooo great.

Peter / Sweden

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,832 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando to New Orleans February next

First thing- book a DTD hotel. You'll be too tired to drive straight away, and to stay there means you can walk to dinner and pick up some Disney atmoshere for free.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,370 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando to New Orleans February next

Not sure I'd go out of my way to go to DownTown Disney/Lake Buena Vista, if I were heading north from the airport. But, if you want a little touch of Disney before you embark - then perhaps. Otherwise, I suspect there are far cheaper places to stop off, more "on your way".

I can't otherwise make any suggestions about where to stop off overnight, but I will say this: if you've seen the movie "The Truman Show" and would like to visit the actual location where the "exteriors" were filmed, it's called "Seaside, Florida" and it's on your way, on the Gulf Coast of the panhandle.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,832 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando to New Orleans February next

Sure, lots of cheap. But Cheap isn't fun, on the side of the turnpike.

I was trying to think holiday , rather than road trip.

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando to New Orleans February next

Where ever you decide to stay in NOLA that time of year, you'd better reserve NOW!!! That is MArdi Gras weekend and you will not find a decent hotel at a decent price anywhere near downtown New Orleans. That also applies to most areas within a 30 mile circumference of the city. You might be better off looking at Biloxi/Pascagoula area for the first few days of the trip. Mardi Gras Day is Tuesday, the 16th. After that, it may be easier to find a place. And, most of the hotels in downtown Mobile will also be filled at that time. The whole corridor from P'cola to Houston celebrates Mardi Gras to some extent - New Orleans and Mobile the most (P.S. Trivia note - Mardi Gras actually started in Mobile, NOT New Orleans)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando to New Orleans February next

Thanks flapenny, going to book a hotel in Boloxi, thanks again.

quinner

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando to New Orleans February next

Can I suggest contacting jsmla, as she has recently driven from Orlando to Louisiana. I believe sha said it took 11 hours but she will be able to give you better advice. You may not get an answer from her for a few days as she is currently in NY.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando to New Orleans February next

I have driven it, and it is about 11-12 hours. The quickest way is the Turnpike to I -75 to I-10. There are very few places to stay on the Turnpike and I-75 other than the usual roadside motel.

If you want to go to Silver Springs, you can stay in Ocala (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from the airport). The Florida panhandle has some beautiful beaches, but it is about 6 to 7 hours to get to Pamama City and Destin. If you don't stop, I-10 is a long, flat, boring road through Florida.

New Orleans has probably changed a whole bunch since the hurricane, and I would suggest checking with their experts on places to stay.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
907 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando to New Orleans February next

Hi quinner,

We are doing a similar trip in March. We were hoping to get down to San Padre Island in Texas, but the experts on the Road Trip forum have persuaded me it is too far.

After landing in Orlando we are heading to the Gulf Coast (Crystal River area) and making our way round the coast to New Orleans, stopping as we fancy. After a couple of days in NO we will head north and back to Orlando.

We don't mind a boring journey - in fact nothing and nowhere in US is boring to us (some of it may be less interesting but never boring). Of course if your trip is solely for visiting NO then yes you would be better flying straight there.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,048 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando to New Orleans February next

If you don't book your rooms before you leave be sure to look for discount books at the rest stops along the highway, these rates tend to be the cheapest you can find for lodging.