We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A map of disney transportation?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A map of disney transportation?

Is there a map of any kind that shows the bus stops, monorail stops, and any other types of stops throughout disney world? I am staying at the Carribean beach hotel and I am just curious the ways we will be going in trying to get to various places.

THANKS SO MUCH!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A map of disney transportation?

Disney is far too big for one transportation map, but here is the map for your resort

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/cbrmap.htm

It would be a bus for you from your resort to all of the parks.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,592 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A map of disney transportation?

That's correct; there's no one big transportation map, since the busses criss-cross between theme parks, water parks, and resorts.

Basically monorails serve only Magic Kingdom and Epcot theme parks, and only Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian resorts.

Boats can be found to provide transport from "nearby" resorts to theme parks which are found very close to the parks (deluxe resorts).

Boats go to and from the Contemporary, Poly, and Floridian to M.K.; boats to and from Wilderness Lodge to M.K., boats go to and from Ft. Wilderness to M.K., boats go from Ft. Wilderness to the Wilderness Lodge and to the Contemporary.

Boats go to and from the Boardwalk, Y&B Club, and Swan/Dolphin resorts to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and connect to each other as well.

Also there's a boat that connects Port Orleans to Downtown Disney, a boat that connects Old Key West to Downtown Disney, and a boat that connects Saratoga Springs with Downtown Disney.

Nearly all other transport is on busses, and busses go to and from resort to parks, from parks to parks, and to and from Downtown Disney to resorts.

No busses go from DTD to parks. No busses go directly between resorts to other resorts, except for traveling to the dinner shows held at Ft. Wilderness.

Mentioned in this post
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,447 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,626 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Disney's Grand Floridian...
4,647 Reviews
Orlando, FL
The Floridian Hotel and Suites
The Floridian Hotel and...
1,302 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Hollywood
Hollywood
Broward County, FL
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans...
9,184 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Old Key West Resort
Disney's Old Key West...
2,711 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A map of disney transportation?

This is a very good and accurate link that shows how to get from one place to another.

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/twiz.aspx

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A map of disney transportation?

Respectfully, I disagree that Our Laughing Place is a good and accurate transportation wizard. It used to be at one time, but now it i woefully outdated. It suggests routes that no longer exist, and misses routes that do exist.

On the Transportation Forum on another message board, we've been warning people away from it. It's sad, because it used to be a very valuable resource, and hopefully in the future it will again be so. But for now, I urge everyone to NOT rely on it to plan trips using Disney Transport.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A map of disney transportation?

I made a very bold claim in my above post, and also one that sounds so negative. I'm not being negative just because I want to be ... I expressed my strong opinion that that website provides incorrect information at times.

So I figured I'd better back up that opinion with some facts. Unfortunately, on my very first search at Our Laughing Place, I found very bad information.

When you ask it to give you a route from Polynesian Resort to Epcot, it gives you three choices. One takes 19 minutes, one takes 45 minutes, and one takes 47 minutes. Which one would you choose? Of course, we'd all choose the shortest travel time.

SADLY, THAT ROUTE SIMPLY DOESN'T EXIST ... it says to take a direct bus from Polynesian to Epcot. There is NO BUS from any of the 3 monorail resorts to Epcot.

The 45 minute trip is at least accurate ... sort of. It says to take the monorail to the Transportation & Ticket Center and then a monorail to Epcot. Yes, you can do that. But WHAT IT LEAVES OUT is that Polynesian is adjacent to the TTC ... you can simply take the very short walk to the TTC and then board a direct monorail to Epcot, all of which would take much much less than 45 minutes.

The 47 minute trip is also A ROUTE THAT DOESN'T EXIST. It says to take a boat from Polynesian to Grand Floridian (which exists, sort of) and then a bus from Grand Floridian to Epcot. Well, as we've already established, there is no such thing as a bus from Grand Floridian (a monorail resort) to Epcot. In addition, it ignores the fact that even if you did want to do that, the boat that leaves Polynesian stops at Magic Kingdom first, before it heads to Grand Floridian. If one wanted to get from Poly to GF, the monorail would be a much much more efficient way to get there. You can also walk the 0.33 mile path that connects the two resorts.

So as you can see, by looking up just one trip (Polynesian to Epcot), 2 of the 3 routes that OLP suggests do not exist at all, and 1 of the 3 is technically correct yet so very very inefficient compared with an easy alternative.

So I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but at the same time I don't want to give the impression that I gave an uninformed opinion when I said the OLP website is not a good resource to use.

Thanks for listening .... :-)

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,626 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Disney's Grand Floridian...
4,647 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,447 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
386 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A map of disney transportation?

Thanks Cleverocks for the heads up on this web site. I was using it to plan our route to various resort restaurants.

We are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter. We have rented a car for about 2/3 of the 2 weeks we are there to allow us to drive to the places we want to go to if the transportation route is too long.

One question - can you walk to any of the parks or restaurants from this resort? We think not but just in case. We are good walkers - a mile or so is Ok.

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Port Orleans...
5,817 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,592 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A map of disney transportation?

Sadly, no, you cannot walk to any Disney parks or other venues from P.O. French Quarter. About the only place you can walk is "next door" over to P.O. Riverside. Disney has no sidewalks along the major roads, and they do not allow pedestrians along the roads which have no sidewalks.

Disney property is nearly 50 sq. miles large, and unless you are staying at a deluxe resort which is located directly next to one of the parks, none of them are "walkable" distance.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A map of disney transportation?

Kat_Cubs_fan gave good information.

The only non-bus way to get anywhere from POFQ (except for POR, of course) is to take a boat to Downtown Disney. POFQ/POR also offers a bus to DTD, but the boat is a very pleasant (if less speedy) way to go. The boat doesn't run in inclement weather, and only runs from about 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A map of disney transportation?

Well Cleve rocks I used that site when we where away in December and as it says on the website it askes people to give their meaning if something is wrong and outdated so I really hope that You have send them about the errors that You have descovered there.

We had none problem when we used it last year in December, but of course it also stand on the website that You should also count in the waiting time, so if a time says 15 minutes that can mean that it will take longer then the actually 15 minutes. If You considering the waiting factor that the bus might just have left or the boat just have left and You have to wait for it.

Mutter

pa
Level Contributor
54,817 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A map of disney transportation?

Here are all the transportaion options around the 'World'

http://allears.net

Here is a Map of the 47 square miles of Disney World Property, to get an idea of how far away resorts are from the parks

www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/propertymap.htm

Here is a chart of the distances from one place to another, to give you an idea of how long it might take to get from one place to another

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/miles.htm

If you need to get to a Resort from a Resort, pick the closest Park to the Resort you want to get to and transfer there OR use Downtown Disney as your Transfer station, it is open later then the Parks if that makes it easier

Everyone catches on rather quick to all the transportation once you are there