We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

gainesville,Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

We are planning on going only to Magic Kingdom for 2 nights and need suggestions where to stay. We will have a 3 month old and a 2 year old at the time. I don't think either of the disney resorts comes with Refrigerator or a Microwave. Please recommend which is better of the two or if you can suggest a non-disney resort as well? We will be driving, so car is not a problem.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,585 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

Both these resorts will have the mini-fridge in the room, but neither have a microwave in the room; you'd have to go to the food courts to use one there.

If you want to be closer to Magic Kingdom, you'd definitely be closer at the Wilderness Lodge; only a very short boat ride away and no driving necessary.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,585 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

Just a thunk; could you bring a small microwave from home to use in your room? Even if you don't have one, you can get a small one at Wal-Mart very cheap nowadays.

We do this every trip to Disney, and if staying at a value resort, we bring our own small mini-fridge too.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

I agree that if you're planning on doing only the MK, the Wilderness Lodge is much more convenient as it has a boat launch directly to the entrance from the hotel.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
396 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

Wilderness Lodge was lovely last december. The tree in the main lobby was great and there was often extra things like Santa or Minnie. Also you could easily get to MK across the lake where they also had some activites. We did the sleigh ride from there too

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

I would recommend the Wilderness Lodge with the Magic Kingdom only a short boatride away.

Nanuet, New York
Level Contributor
162 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

We stayed at Wilderness Lodge last December and it was awesome. Great holiday decorations, fireplace and nice short boat ride to Magic Kingdom. For the holiday feel and access to MK the Wilderness Lodge is the better pick. There was a small fridge in the room.

gainesville,Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

Ok great. Thanks for suggestions. Now when I buy the tickets, is Fast Pass something I need to mention online/phone?

southern NJ
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

I agree about the Wilderness Lodge but I may be a little biased since we own the Vacation Club for that resort. ;-)

It is SO convenient to get to the MK from the resort, the boat ride takes no time at all. I haven't been there during December but am told that it is SO beautifully decorated then.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

Fast Pass is free!

You will love WL!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for Dec 2009?

The Wilderness Lodge is lovely during December. It is probably one of my top two favorites when it comes to Christmas decorations.

If you choose off-site would you be looking for a hotel or a condo type resort? With a condo you'd get a kitchen and (probably) a living/sitting area that you could use while the little ones napped or went early to bed.

Jennifer

Get answers to your questions about Orlando