We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando in February

Kent, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando in February

I am planning a trip in Feb 2006 with anouther family (4 adults plus 5 young children). I am considering staying at the Grand Floridian (through Virgin Holidays). This appears to be one of the few hotels that can accommodate 5 in a room. Is it worth the money?

I have also read about a 'concierge floor'. I assume this is available at an extra cost, is it worth the extra?

Generally I am looking for useful tips:

Considering the numbers travelling, should we consider hiring a villa?

Do people really pay the extra for Virgins Premium Economy??

Or is there some was to get an upgrade at a discount?y

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando in February

We've been to Orlando many times but stayed on-site only once. That was the most expensive trip we ever took to Orlando. It was a unique experience but we never want to do it again. We've found renting a home to be much less expensive and more relaxing and enjoyable. You can get a home with a private screened pool and a game room with billiards and fooseball. You can either rent direct from the owner or from an agency. I prefer the agency method and have used All Star Vacation Homes with great success. The best choices would be found in the developments of Formosa Gardens and Windsor Palms. I hear the new Windsor Hills is very nice as well- hope to check it out in December.

UK
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando in February

Agree with Coastermeister about cost and location, and can recommend Windsor Hills. We suggest you consider booking direct with an owner.

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando in February

How about going into a resort - we have just returned from our holiday (via Virgin) and used the Sheraton Vistana Resort in Lake Buena Vista. You can hire a two bedroomed apartment (with two bathrooms), which sleep up to 8, or a one bedroomed apartment - sleeping up to four - using the sofa bed in each apartment. The two bedroom have a king size bed in the main bedroom with two queen sized beds in the second bedroom - can sleep two children in each queen bed.

You get kitchen facilities, with large fridge/freezer/ dishwasher/toaster/hob/oven/ washing machine/tumble drier/TVs in all bedrooms and one in the lounge area.

We went into the Cascades area of the resort, where there is ample free car parking, large swimming pool, gym, basket ball, bar which serves beer/soft drinks and food, and lots of sun loungers. Maid service is included.

We enjoyed the resort because you meet lots of new people - if you want to and the location is good. It is also security gated.

Upgrades: We have paid the extra to go Premium Economy when we've been to Barbados - but there were only two of us travelling then. Obviously it is more relaxed with extra leg room, but if you are having to pay for 9 people, then I would not recommend paying the extra! You would not get 9 people upgraded free or discounted.

Hope this helps!

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando in February

If you want to be on site you would be better off renting one of the villa properties such as the Boardwalk Villas. There are a couple of other villa properties on site too. You would have more room and a kitchen to boot. Having a kitchen would help cut down on your food. You could eat breakfast in the villa and stock it w/drinks and snacks for later in the day.