We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets and brands

Halifax UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarkets and brands

We have booked a villa for October, will I be able to buy toiletries by the brands we know from here in the UK? To save on weight I thought I would buy soap ect on arriving but I do like certain products like Dove, Sure and Pantene Are these available? I ssume it will be cheaper than home for steaks etc? Can anyone suggest a good large store near championsgate/west haven area

Thanks

bristol uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarkets and brands

I know they sell dove soap (cos i ran out over there) although it wasnt as nice as ours (hard to explain, smelled different and wasnt as silky). Not sure about the rest but walmart is great for shopping.

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarkets and brands

We stay in condos so we try to get it organised as soon as poss after arrival. Now, this is going to sound so mean but I don't really care!

When we arrive we have a long list of things for bathroom, kitchen, some foods, confectionary etc that sort of staple things you need. We go to the same $ dollar shop and get loads of stuff. They are usually big sizes and we end up leaving half of it at the end of the holiday. I feel better doing that than buying the same brands from Goodings, Albertsons or Publix at double the price or more in some cases. it always ends up quite a big shop but doesn't cost that much.

Brighouse, United...
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarkets and brands

Hi,

there are plenty of well known brands of toiletries available in the Walmart stores over there. Sometimes the packaging is slightly different, but on the whole it's the same product. You can always try Walgreens if you don't find what you want in walmart. Hope this helps.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarkets and brands

I used to work for Lever Bros., a division of Unilever, makers of many bar soaps, detergents and personal care products. Yes, formulations can vary country to country, but the basic ingredients that actually do the job are pretty much the same. And any given brand in the US could have 6 or more different formulations, including Dove. If it absolutely, positively must be the same as you use at home, bring it with you. All of the brands you listed are major US brands as well. Fragrances and 'feel' can vary, so read the labeling to be sure you have what you want.

malaga spain
Level Contributor
561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarkets and brands

Hi Travelalot,

when we arrive i always go to walmarts and buy my toiletries, infact i also bought a load and brought them back as they were so cheap, look out for John Frieda, i got a ton of pantanne which was on offer, im still using it now from june, you can get much the same as europe, watch out for shower gel though, this was exensive compared to all the other toiletries,

Amber

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarkets and brands

Wow Amber - I felt a whole lot cleaner just reading your post and my hair is so glossy now.

Brighouse, United...
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarkets and brands

Hi Vegas,

can we have a picture of your glossy hair please!!!!!

england
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarkets and brands

travelalot

There is a large Publix at Champions Gate. Everything stocked but not as big as Walmarts.

In Walmarts you can buy travel sizes of toiletries and bear in mind if renting a villa you will probably have 3 at least! bathrooms ...........hence 3 x shower gel 3 x soaps 3 x shampoo 3 x conditioner 3 x toothpaste 3 x etc etc etc, so the small sizes are ideal. I could never stay in a family room in hotel now where you have to wait for bathroom/shower.

Incidentally you will find US toothpaste different to ours. They go in for Wintergreen (strange taste and smells like muscle rub)

and Cinnammon. They are big on these two flavours in everything from donuts to toothpaste.

You would need a seperate suitcase to take enough toiletries to cover for everyone

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarkets and brands

You lot are so posh you would have to be in disguise to go into $ dollar shop.

But I aint - I am so mean and so proud of it.

malaga spain
Level Contributor
561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarkets and brands

vegas cant you change the piccy, it looks like a load of bees swarming, back to the post, if you look for the bargains you will do far better than the dollar shops, we got 2 for the price of one, plus 2 free thingys which is great for our hair anti frizzy mebob, the size of the bottle s of pantene was about 3 gallons, no only joking but they were huge, at least 2 litres each, all for 7 $, so i bought loads when hubby wasnt looking and stashed it in his case, again when he wasnt looking,

You wouldnt believe what ive bought before now, complete bedding sets, curtains, shower curtains, rods for curtains, we nearly brought back a coffee machine (on offer for 10$) but we had a row- hubby was moaning about the stuff i was buying, and as usual one thing leads to another, so i put the coffee machine back, (it was the last one) then thought about it again and bloody hell, 5 mins later it had gone, well you can imagine who had a crap day after that, nag nag nag from me. yes it was hubbys fault for moaning in first place, oh well, any exuse to go back an get another 10$ Coffee machine

amber