We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's at Disneyworld

Fort Mill, SC
7 posts
Save Topic
Must do's at Disneyworld

Hi.

My family will be traveling to Disney during Spring Break/Easter. There will be two 15 year old girls, a 3 and 5 year old, and 4 adults. There seems to be so much to do at so many locations. What are some shows, dinners, parades, rides, etc. that we must not miss? Any advice on what to skip? Any other advice is appreciated. We will be staying in a condo off premise.

Thanks!

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's at Disneyworld

I would definitely watch Fantasmic at MGM studios. It's excellent for all ages- but it fills up quickly so get there early to get good seats-check what time it starts when you get in the park.

Tower of Terror and Aerosmiths Rock n Rollercoaster are great for older kids/adults. Get there early or get fast passes.

Can't help much with what the little ones will like though as I have only been since my son was 10.

Splash Mountain is great, so is Big Thunder Mountain. We thought Space Mountain was quite tame though (in comparison to Kraken/Hulk/Busch gardens coasters).

We really liked Animal Kingdom, you can easily do this park in a day-but make sure you catch the Lion King show. That's fabulous, and Tough to be a Bug is great too. Primeval Whirl is new- but can throw you around a bit-lots of twists and turns! And Dinosaur is worth a ride or 2!

Reflections of Earth, the fireworks at Epcot is excellent too. But get to the lake in the World Showcase early to get a seat.

Test Track is good but the queues can be huge- get a fast pass, and take advantage of the free drinks in the Coca Cola bit- I think it's by the dancing fountains.

If this is your first time to Disney, I wouldn't skip anything- everything is bound to appeal to someone! Just get to the parks early, pace yourselves, eat at different times to everyone else in the park and just enjoy it.

Pgh, Pa
Level Contributor
337 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's at Disneyworld

I would without a doubt make reservations for Chef Mickeys! It is so much fun! I have 4 kids ages are 11,7,3&1 and they ALL love it! Actually my husband and I love it as much as they do. The food is pretty good. Also, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Chip&Dale make it around to all the tables several time. That allows you to get some great pictures and if your kids want autographs they can get those too. They interact with the kids and it is really a fun time. They have a breakfast and dinner. We usally do dinner, although we have done breakfast and liked that too. Your older children would love Universal Studios and Island of Adventure. But if your just doing a Disney vacation just stay on track. The little ones will love Magic Kingdom but the older ones will get bored much more quicklly. My 11 yr. old son was pretty bored they last few times we were there. Although he loves thrill rides. He likes Universal more than Disney. Whatever you do the kids will have fun. Sometimes they have just as much fun playing in pool at the condo. Have a great time! I'm jealous, I wish I was planning.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's at Disneyworld

Hi neighbor!

I live about 20 minutes from Fort Mill, and make frequent trips to the health food store there,(The Natural Choice) to buy foods needed for my daughter's special diet. Fort Mill is a very nice, growing community!

We've been to Disney World almost very year for the past 11 years; we're addicts! We've also visited the Universal parks, but even as our kids have gotten older, we all still prefer Disney World. Universal is pretty much all for older kids, where Disney has lots of great things for all ages. As I've stated before in posts, from experience, I now wouldn't recommend taking a child to the Universal parks, under the age of 8-9 years old. IF you do anything outside of Disney World, I highly recommend Sea World for all ages.

The first post to your question mentioned a lot of great things at Disney; there are some things that your 3 and 5 year old won't be able to do, for those, Disney does a "baby swap". When you first get to an attraction that the little ones can't or won't do, let a cast member know that you wish to do a "baby swap". YOur party can all stand in line together, then part of your group will ride while the other 1/2 holds on to the little ones, after the first group rides you "swap" the "babies" to them. The cast members need to know that you want to do this because many attractions and rides exit at a different place than where you get on; they will make any arrangements needed. It works great! As for little ones, Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom will be a highlight, everything there is geared toward the little ones, although my soon to be 10 and 14 year olds, still insist on riding everything there! Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin in Tomorrowland is also great fun for all ages, the little ones are shooting just as hard as the bigger kids. Mickey's Toontown Fair is a great place to meet the Characters, you can also walk through both Mickey's and Minnies' houses! In Adventureland, the "Tiki Room" show is cute for all ages. Don't miss the nighttime parade Spectromagic at the MK, it is very magical! At the Disney/ MGM studios there is "Playhouse Disney" for the younger ones, and "Honey, I shrunk the Kids" playground is a great place to let the kids and adults relax and run around for a while. It's also great for some neat pictures. All ages will enjoy Muppet Vision 3-D; Beauty and the Beast broadway stage show, and the Voyage of the Little Mermaid. As the first post mentioned, don't miss Fantasmic! and do get there very early, ask a cast member early in the day how early they think you should arrive; I'd say at least an hour before showtime. (They do have some entertainment to help keep you occupied)

At Epcot, don't miss Mission Space, (just don't eat before you go)it is one of those things that isn't for the little ones. My kids have always enjoyed Spaceship Earth, HOney, I shrunk the Audience, and the Energy Pav. (however some little kids don't like these because of the darkness during these attractions) The Living Seas is also enjoyable. Many people think that The World Showcase at Epcot isn't for kids, but my kids have enjoyed it since they were little. There's a lot of interesting native entertainment in the countries; great little gymnasts, dancers, etc. The kids can also visit the "kid stops" in each country and get a passport to be stamped in each country. Most countries also have a little craft for the kids to do. The nighttime fireworks and lazer show, Illuminations is great.

Animal Kingdom is great for all, too. My kids have always enjoyed how close they can get to the animals. The previous post mentioned a lot of the great things there. I would suggest you purchase a Disney World guide book and try to map out a "loose" plan for each day. "The Unofficial Guide to Disney World" is my favorite. It has a lot of very helpful and much needed advice and info. Most bookstores carry it as well as Amazon.com.---- Oh, Don't forget the Disney Waterparks!

Best Wishes!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's at Disneyworld

Hi,

My oldest daughter just read my post and insist that I make a correction! My kids are soon to be 11 and 15! (both, in 2 months) I'm so sorry, what a terrible mistake! Time flies by too fast, I can't keep up! Also, the previous mention of Chef Mickey's is a great suggestion! We prefer dinner. The Characters are so great, all ages will enjoy it. They also have lots of great "kid friendly" food. Call Disney Dining and make your Priority Seating Reservations right away! They book up fast!

Again, Best Wishes!

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's at Disneyworld

HI! I agree with most everything everyone has said. For sure use the baby swap. We've done that tons of times. Also, because the 15 year olds will have such different interests from the younger two, you might even want to split up or allow them to explore or reride some of the bigger rides on their own for a bit.

In addition to the above recs, at Magic Kingdom , we like Pirates of the Caribbean and, for the older ones, Splash Mountain, Space Mtn and Big Thunder. You will want to go on Buzz Lightyear more than once! The new show in Fantasyland (4-d) is a hoot for all ages! We also like the character meal at Crystal Palace (with Pooh and friends) for lunch or dinner.

At MGM, I would add Star Tours as my kids really like that.

I agree with UNCMickey about EPCOT. My kids have always loved World Showcase even when they were young. The passports, crafts and shows like Japanese drumming and Chinese acrobats and French mimes are a hit. Innoventions is cool for the older ones in Future World. We also like the character meal at Living with the Land. It is darkish and quiet and a good respite from the craziness. Because it is a bit smaller and less well known, we have always gotten lots of attention from the characters there.

Animal Kingdom is lovely with lots of good details. You will get wet on Kali Rapids.

My favorite guidebook is also the Unofficial Guide. It is good to have a general plan made up ahead of time. Then, be flexible and above all, have fun! If you miss one ride, so what?!

Enjoy!

orlando
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do's at Disneyworld

Might I suggest a set of walkie-talkies to keep in touch when you seperate?

The restaurants book 90 days out for any given day. Book early.

Phone # is 1.407.939.3463

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do's at Disneyworld

Disney World is soo big you'll always miss something that's why you have to keep going back.

The whole age group will love PhilharMajic 4-D and Buzz Lightyear's Ranger ride. If you've never been you'll love it all, so, it will be great no matter what you see and do. Have fun.