We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgetown, KY
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

Is there toll Roads from SANFORD Airport to Disney? if so, how much. I read on here that it is Confusing, and bustling traffic or if you are not prepared to pay iwth correct amount you will get a fine? What do I need to know about the route from the Airport to Disney? THen we go from Disney to Daytona beach before back to airport.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

Typically, to get from the Sanford Airport to Disney you would take the 417 Expressway, which is a toll road. I am not sure exactly how much the tolls will cost in total, but it is probably around five or six dollars.

I am not sure where you read that the 417 Expressway in confusing/bustling. The Expressway is extremely quiet even during rushhour, and getting on and off is VERY easy. It is not at all confusing.

You are not going to get a fine for having incorrect change. Occassionally, people drive through the tolls without paying, but as long as you pay the tolls you will be fine. The toll plazas all have attendants who will be happy to make change. A couple of exits have toll booths that require exact change, but you shouldn't encounter any if you are driving from Sanford to Disney.

I-4 is another route that you can take to get from the airport to Disney, and there are no tolls. However, it will probably take a few minutes longer, and there is quite a bit of traffic and congestion.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,523 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

There are 2 ways. I-4 has no tolls, but I would avoid it during rush hours. From Sanford to Celebration it is a total of $6.50 on the 417. Google Orlando Expressway for a toll calculator.

No tolls on I-4 between Disney and Daytona, but there are tolls on the 528 if you go to Cocoa Beach. Most major toll plazas are manned, a few on the off ramps require exact change.

If you need specific maps use google.com or mapquest.com.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

If I were you I would use the 417 which is 3 miles from Sanford airport car pick up.

Stay on 417 South / West following Disney parks -Tampa , until you come to exit No6

Stay in the L/H lane off the ramp, straight through the first set of lights. keeping in the l/h lane . 400 yds this will bring you to another set of lights which is a big X roads. you will be on 536, , you need to stay on this. Crossing 535. straight across. Another mile and your are in Disney.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

We did go through some unmanned tolls where you had to have change and throw it in a bucket. If it wasn't for a lovely American guy behind us, we'd would have had to take a fine!! He gave us the 50cents and away we went. The car before us drove through. He stopped, obviously didn't have change and all the alarms and lights started flashing!

Make sure you have some change with you incase any of the tolls are unmanned!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

In our experience i would take the i4 down, to the english who haventy been beforew it is confusing, as thr sighns are not like this country and you have to figure out which sigh means which direction. Even with a print out of exactley where to follow you still have to be very carefull not to miss the turns etc that you need to take, as the next rd might not take you anywhere near where you want to be and can lead you in to areas,that you didnt want to be in,plus if you miss a exit you could be going for miles before you get to another one. THE I4 is just straight down all the way, last year we went for the 3rd time and it was dark and pouring with rain, and we started getting lost abit, even after taking that route before, for me its the signs and the way they have them across the road.Maybe someone from orlando can better explain what the street sighn mean.

glasgow
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

Sorry about this but as a Suplimentary question to the directions required from sanford to Disney, What is the estimated travelling time between the 2 No. locations.

London
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

Don't listen to any scaremongering from anyone. Its not confusing and no bustling traffic around. The 417 road from Sanford airport is a wonderful road and is an ideal way to get to the Disney area, especially if you are new-ish to the US and don't want to tackle the sometimes manic I-4. The 417 is never busy, its wide and well signposted (once you are on it), and it gives you time to get used to driving on the left.

Yes, its a toll road, but as the above poster said, you will probably pay around 5 to 6 dollars and thats not going to break the bank. My advice is have $1 bills and quarters etc ready as soon as you pick your car up. With all this in place you will pay the correct tolls and will NOT get a fine!

Going from Disney to Daytona, the quickest way is on the I-4, takes you right there, no tolls.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

Once you get on the 417 at Sanford it just a straight road drive right to the Disney gate if you follow my directions. From Sanford airport to exit No6 is about 43 miles.

Signs are not confusing They indicate weather your traveling north or south etc And you can always tell which way you ar going by the road number. All roads that go north /south have odd numbers . All roads going east/ west have even numbers. Easy

When approaching road signs these are displayed above the lanes your are driving in, along with traffic lights. You are expected to know which road you are on, The over head sign tells you which road you are about to Cross. You dont have look for them on buildings walls, stuck on 2 foot high signs at the side of the road that traffic obscurer they are right in front of you overhead you cannot miss them.

They could not be easier . Dead easy to drive in Orlando.

Interstate 4 , (I-4) falls out of the rule a bit because in fact it travels across the state in diagonal fashion. but because it starts a Daytona on the eastern side and ends at Tampa on the western its number is 4 (even) but through Orlando it is traveling a bit more N/S . For someone who has a good sense of direction to see a sign saying 417 west ( when it obviously going south) like when you join it a Sanford) can seem a little strange.

9. Re: Orlando Sanford Airport to Disney World- Toll Roads?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 16, 2009