We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal or Islands of Adventure??

Ft. lauderdale
10 posts
Save Topic
Universal or Islands of Adventure??

We want to take our 10 year old son to either Universal or Islands of Adventure. We have never been to either.

Please tell us which one would be more interesting and fun for a 10 year old.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
611 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal or Islands of Adventure??

IOA is better for roller coasters/thrill rides (Hulk, those dragon coasters, Jurassic Park flume ride), and Spider-Man is a fantastic attraction.

That said, I prefer Universal Studios for a one-day if I have to choose. The rides are more theatrical in nature (Shrek 4D, Jaws, E.T., Men in Black) and I think there's more to actually do. The new Mummy ride is pretty cool as well, sort of an indoor roller coaster.

The best case scenario would be a park hopper, since there are elements of both parks (Spider-Man) that shouldn't be missed.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal or Islands of Adventure??

My 10 year old loves both parks and rides everything they have. He's been going to the Universla parks since he was 4 and there has always been plenty to entertain him.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal or Islands of Adventure??

We were just there in June and my 11 prefered Universal Studios. I guess it depends on how big and how adventurous your 10 yo is. My 11 yo is on the small side and couldn't get on many of the coasters in IOA.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal or Islands of Adventure??

Definitely go to both, they are right next door to each other and if you do your research first about which rides you want to go on you can get round the best bits in one day. Buy the Brits Guide to Orlando which will tell you everything you need to know to plan in advance.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Universal or Islands of Adventure??

As everyone has said here, I also recommend you do Universal and Islands of Adventure! If you only have only 1 day you could do both parks in one day.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Universal or Islands of Adventure??

I would get the 2 park, 2 day pass that doesn't expire (on Universalorlando.com website). That way you can do both parks in the 1 day, and save the other day. You can definitely do the highlights of both parks in 1 day.

Saint Peters
Level Contributor
496 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Universal or Islands of Adventure??

He would probably love either. You should do both, but it will be very difficult in just one day. You will not be able to see everything. Islands of Adventure is more of a typical amusement park with rides. Universal Studios has rides but they are more theatrical, ie the seats move to create illusion of actually being on a ride, 4D movie where seats move and you get sprayed with water (Shrek 4D). Universal Studios sort of reminded me of Disney MGM Studios. Have your son check out their web site to see what interests him. If I had to do just one, I personally would do Islands of Adventure. I am more into the more normal amusement park type rides. But we thoroughly enjoyed both.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
608 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Universal or Islands of Adventure??

We have two boys 12 and 14 and have done Universal for the past 4 years. If they had to choose between parks they would pick Islands of Adventure hands down. The Spiderman Ride alone is worth the admission.