We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
147 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

My sister and I will be in town June 4-7, staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort (I'm an owner). We will be arriving mid-morning on the 4th, and cannot check-in at the resort til 4pm. We've heard a few suggestions from people (locals and tourists) that we should park the car at one of the Disney resorts, hop on the monorail, and ride for free - mostly to see the beautiful resorts on Disney property. Is this true? Also - would this be a good time to visit DTD to kill some time and grab lunch? And is there a boat ride that leaves from DTD that we could take for free just to ride around to the resorts? (similar to the monorail idea).

Thanks!

newcastle/durham
Level Contributor
469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

yep, good plan. i think theres a boat from downtown disney to the port orleans resorts.

newcastle/durham
Level Contributor
469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

also, if you're doing lunch in DTD, i highly recommend the Earl of Sandwich

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

Parking is gated at the Monorail Resorts. I'm not 100% positive but I believe it's restricted to a 3 hour time period and you might need a dining reservation to park there. You could leave your car at BCR, take their bus to the Ticket and Transportation Center and begin your Monorail ride there. That way you can avoid the parking fees. It's fun to visit the resorts and have a look around.

Parking is free at DTD and it's a great place to kill a few hours. The largest Disney store is located there as well as many other shops and restaurants.

Jennifer

pa
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

I would suggest Parking at Downtown Disney ( Free ) and take the Bus to the Magic Kingdom Resorts ( Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Polynesian ) have a look around, maybe some lunch, ride the Monorail etc ) then get the Bus from Magic Kingdom ( you can just walk over from the Contemporary or ride the Monorail from any of the 3 ) to Port Orleans Riverside. From there you can take the Boat back to Downtown Disney. That should fill up the afternoon nicely :)

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
147 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

Thanks to you both! I checked out the menu for Earl of Sandwich, and it looks great.

Jennifer - parking the car at BCR and taking their trans into Disney sounds good too - I've heard that their trans schedule is a little iffy, but we will definitely check into it!

Thanks!

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
147 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

Thanks Partypa - I will def include your idea on our list!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
447 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

Thanks for this post Farr81901. We will be staying at Bonnett Creek in July and we were wondering about ways to get to the parks without using BC's transportation. I will watch this closely. Thanks again!

pa
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

From Downtown Disney you can also take a walk over to Saratoga Springs Resort and check that out, thought that would be interesting for you :)

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,640 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

Along with the boat ride to the Port Orleans resorts from Downtown Disney (along the way you can see the newly renovated Treehouse Villas), you can also catch a boat heading to Old Key West resort.

UK
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando Travel Tips and Secrets?

Would recommend the free cruises from DTD. They quickly pass an hour or two. WE usually do this after the DTD check in for Virgin on the last day. J.