We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much do you really save on rental cars with AAA?

Thunder Bay...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
How much do you really save on rental cars with AAA?

I am wondering if it is worth it to buy a membership? We I save enough to warrant the expense?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much do you really save on rental cars with AAA?

Hi.

I have made myself an expert on evaluation of rental car rates over the past 3 months.

Now I cannot speak for Canadian AAA membership, but I know that I could save at least 10% on a posted rate. But, and there is a catch! You must watch carefully that they do not apply this savings to a "market" rate. So it looks like you are saving a lot when, in reality, you are paying much more than you would be had you applied with other I.D. plans and/or codes.

BTW, doesn't it get so freezing cold up in Thunder Bay that membership in AAA is a must anyway, just for those mornings when your car battery is dead? LOL!

PM me if you want some codes to try out on various web sites.

Happy winter! What is left of it!

Thunder Bay...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much do you really save on rental cars with AAA?

Yes it has been -30C up here. Today its a balmy -10C. CAA is a must up here!!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much do you really save on rental cars with AAA?

We keep up our membership, just for the emergency road service (and have even used it in Canada)....but the best car rental prices I have been able to get are with the "name your own" option at Priceline.....There always seemed to be a gimmick with the AAA discounts, ie just from one or two companies and just on certain types of cars, or certain dates.....You do not save anything on theme park parking, but I believe there is a section of the parking lot that is closer that is reserved for AAA members, though we have not used it......

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
75 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much do you really save on rental cars with AAA?

We're CAA members and have recieved quotes from them numerous times for rental cars in various parts of the world. On average, I've found that their discounts are off "rack" rates posted by rental agencies. That is, you get a 10-15% discount off regular rates.

In contrast, I've found that the savings are better if you book directly with the agency themselves using their numerous promotions and specials, or alternatively, book through another third-party company such as Costco Travel or Expedia for even better savings.

Good luck and have fun planning your trip :)

Asif

PS-We're in Calgary and the temps are supposed to be in the fifties by tommorrow: Not always cold in Canada ya know!

Charlottetown, PEI
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much do you really save on rental cars with AAA?

I find you save more on hotel rooms than on car rentals. Many other places give you discounts for CAA as well, like some campgrounds, even the pizza place down the street from us!

Also, I have a tendancy to lock my keys in the truck every once in a while..........so my CAA card comes in handy

6. Re: How much do you really save on rental cars with AAA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, October 19, 2009