We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

orlando in June 06 Help!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
orlando in June 06 Help!

Hi, can anyone give me some advice.We a family of 2 thirty somethings and our 14yr old son r going t orlando for our first time next year.we want to do most parks wondering if you can do 2 in 1 day also what to do on a night,where to eat,all information will be gratefull as we are only there for 7 days as we are going t the bahamas for week 2 to get over all the hussle and bussle.We are staying in the whyndam on i-drive dont even know what is around this hotel yet.HELP!

North East, England
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: orlando in June 06 Help!

yeah you can do 2 in 1... cant remember how... ive never bothered. but you can do say epcot in the morning, and magic kindom on a night... this is only for disney parks though (i think)

on a night... theres downtown disney, which is good for young people and there is plenty to do.

the wyndam is a nice hotel, although for our holiday in sept have had to change as we dont feel it is suitable for my 3y/o neice who is coming.

if its your first time... all you can do is experiment!

you may find 2 parks 1 day is too much for you.

it all depends what your expectaions and demands are.

if you want roller coasters i would suggest busch gardens and MGM Studios.

if you want entertainment probably epcot and animal kingdom maybe?

it really depends what u want from the holiday.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: orlando in June 06 Help!

If you're stayig at the Wyhdam on I-drive, ask for a room facing the 'courtyard' for more quiet. Better than half the rooms face a parking lot and/or get the noise from the very busy intersection. The hotel sits on the edge of where I-drive gets a bit tacky. There are mini-marts and other facilities within walking distance. South of the hotel is where many of the good restaurants are located. It's a little tough getting in and out of the parking lot and I find it easier to cut back behind I-drive to get down near Seaworld and then come back up I-Drive to hit various restaurants on the south end. Wet and Wild is to the north as is Universal.

The MK may have limted interest for a 14 yo, so you could combine it with another park, but you may find a park and a half works better. You'll want to catch Fantasmic at MGM and the fireworks at EPCOT, etc, so you'll need to be in the various parks at nite, except AK. For instance, you could do AK durng the day and the A small part of Future World and all of World Showcase at Epcot that evening and stay for the fireworks. Then the rest of Epcot Future World next AM and spend afternoon and evening at MGM and see Fantasmic. On the third day, do some shopping or a water park and afternoon/evening at MK and their Spectromagic show at nite. that leaves plenty of time for IOA and Universal, both of which are smaller, but IOA has lots of rides that a teen may really enjoy.

At AK, I like Rainforest Cafe just outside the entrance. Big portions. You can also grab a turkey leg for a quick, but good, bite to eat. In EPCOT, I like Alfredo's and the Nine Dragons best, but the restaurants in the Land and the Living Seas are good. In MGM I like the Prime Time Cafe and in MK the Liberty Tree, but all the parks have fast food options, though they're not cheap. You can get more for your $'s outside, but you'll loose a lot of time. Carry snacks for the teen, or you'll go broke buying them in the parks. Same for water/juice.

u.k
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: orlando in June 06 Help!

We are also going to Orlando next year for the third time with our 14 year old and she enjoyed the Universal parks far more than Disney so I would definately make time for Universal. Seaworld is also a must and you can do 2 parks in one day if you get a park hopper ticket for Disney. Animal Kingdom closes around 5 o'clock so you could visit another park in the evening. I would say that Magic Kingdom would be more suited towards the younger child and might not appeal to your son. Also take a day off and go to a Disney waterpark as they are fantastic and your son would have a great time. We visited Busch Gardens but didn't enjoy ourselves so much there and I definately wouldn't go there again. Have a great time!

Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: orlando in June 06 Help!

I on the other hand liked Busch Gardens and not so much Sea World.(Although it may be because we have a sea world within a couple of hours away from our home) so that might take some of the appeal away from it....LOL if your going to the Bahamas to "get over the hustle and bustle" you'll be in for a rude awakening at least if your staying at Atlantis..It's a fabulous place, but busy and crowded.

PS - Don't get excited to see the "fast passes" at Disney they are virtually worthless.

Have a great trip!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: orlando in June 06 Help!

you are going to have a long wait!! Actually - we did animal kingdom in the morning- when the animals are out and then around 3 we went to epcot and had more than enough time to do most of it!! That was last week, we didn't have to wait in line much except for the ride Soarin' - It is probably going to be a differen't story in June!!

uk
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: orlando in June 06 Help!

If you visit the I Ride Trolley website and find which stop your hotel is near, it will list shops,attractions and restuarants nearby.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: orlando in June 06 Help!

With a 7 day trip planned for Disney you shouldn't have any problem getting all four parks in without having to fit two in one day and still have a few days in between to relax. I reccommend enjoying a park a day. But if you do choose two in one day, Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom would probably be best for your family. You'll probably need more time at MGM and Epcot for your 14 year old. Downtown Disney is open til midnight for your night time question. You can eat at the Rain Forest Cafe.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: orlando in June 06 Help!

Hello again,thanks f all y ideas i think we are getting somewhere.We are giong t discovery cove to swim with the dolphins,seaworld as its free ,universal studios and universal island of a,animal kingdom,possibly epcot and i a thirty something mother of 2 wants to go t the mk for the parades and the fireworks does this sound okay.please let us know .

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: orlando in June 06 Help!

Hi Helen,

What are your children ages?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: orlando in June 06 Help!

Hello helin 1,my son will be 14 when we go next year d y think we have picked the right parks?