We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 boys 10 and 4

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stevensville...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
2 boys 10 and 4

We are going to wdw 1st week in Dec. My 10 yr old is very very patient with my 4 yr old. My question si will there be a lot we can all do as a family or will be splitting up alot? I was wondering if they mix the rides together, big next to small so we can take turns making them wait rather than having 2 seperate vacation agendas. I guess it all depends on how crowded it will be. I don't mind splitting a little, but it is a family vaction and want to enjoy both childrens excitement.

Thanks for listening to me ramble any help appreciated.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 boys 10 and 4

Why not sit down with your other family members and review the theme park web sites to help you decide what to do ???

No, rides aren't 'mixed together'. Why would they be?

There's really no need to split up. The crowds shouldn't be that bad during your time here.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 boys 10 and 4

There should be no reason for you to have to split up. Your 10 yo will most likely enjoy all the rides and attractions your 4 yo does. There will, of course, be some rides your 4 yo can't go on, but you should be able to find something close by to occupy him. My kids are 11 and 3 and we had no problem on our recent vacations.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 boys 10 and 4

Hi,

Our children are eight years apart and we have had many Disney vacations together throughout the years managing to stick together the whole trip and pleasing them both. Once in awhile if our older boy wanted to go on a scarier ride I or my husband would just go into a couple shops with our younger son or sit and people watch for that ride. I agree with you, you don't want to not be able to experience both of your children's excitement!!! Most of the rides at Disney can be enjoyed by all.

Sussex, uk
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 boys 10 and 4

Hi there

You have the same age difference we have with our kids (they were 10 and 4 when we went in February this year). There are loads of things that you can do together but for the bigger rides that your youngest can't go on go to any of the staff members at the start of the ride and ask to switch, this means that the first adult goes on the ride with the eldest child and the second adult is given a special fast pass card which means that your eldest will queue as normal with the first adult and as soon as they come off the ride the second adult goes into the fast pass line and can take the eldest child back on again and normally only have to wait 5 or 10 minutes. My eldest thought this was great as he got 2 rides on everything in very quick succession. and the the youngest wasn't hanging around all the time. A lot also depends on the height of your youngest, there will be some major rides that your youngest could go on too depending on his height which Disney, understandably are very hot on. Me eldest is also very patient with his brother and have to say that he got really wrapped up in the Disney magic too and loved waiting in line to get autographs and photos off the characters they (and we) had the absolutely best time. Hope you have a great holiday

Charlotte
Level Contributor
107 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 boys 10 and 4

I agree- other than a few of the larger rides (space mountain, rock 'n roller coaster, etc) they should be fine. And there are plenty of things they'll be able to enjoy together, such as Tom Sawyer's Island.

Enjoy!

Crestwood, KY
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 boys 10 and 4

Santashelper and Shortikell said it perfectly. Be sure to try the "kid swap" that Santashelper mentioned at least once. Just ask the cast member that is usually at the entrance to the ride. Your younger child will get to experience the queue part of things like Space Mountain. This may be a good thing or a bad thing! It might be just enought to keep him (her) happy during the wait or it might make him depressed that he can't ride.

Crestwood, KY
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 boys 10 and 4

Sorry...just looked at the title of your post again and saw that you said 2 boys.