We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando in Dec

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando in Dec

Hi there,

I am off to Orlando on the 28th Dec for 10 days for the first time. Can anyone give me some advice on what it is like on New Years' Eve? Where to go? Also, what are the parks like at that time of year? Overly busy?

All advice welcome!!!!

miami
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando in Dec

You will miss the busiest time since you will be getting there AFTER Christmas ... actually, you might still have lots of people, but not as many as you would have during Christmas! Your best bet is to spend New Years at EPCOT CENTER ... make dinner reservations early and hang out for the 12 midnight fireworks show ... EPCOT would be a great place to hang for New Year's EVE!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando in Dec

Depending on how you want to celebrate New Years, it is highly recommended you make any reservations/purchase tickets for any popular New Year's festivities you are planning on attending BEFORE you leave Scotland.

Around this November, check out www.orlandoinfo.com and www.orlandocitybeat.com for what's going to take place for New Years.

You'll be here when it is still pretty busy in the parks as both Christams and NEw Years are on consecutive weekends.

England
Level Contributor
640 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando in Dec

Linda k im very jealous :0(

Id love to go to Florida over the xmas period or New Year. Work prevents me from doing this :0(

Vinny

malaga spain
Level Contributor
561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando in Dec

Hi Linda,

we were in universal last new year and it we had a great time,

We had dinner at city walk, hard rock cafe, now the line for dinner was unbelievable, it was a good 2 hour wait, luckily for us we were with my then heavily pregnant sister in law, so the guy let us in straight away,

As endevour says, Id deffinatly book before you leave, check out all the web sites disney.com universalorlando.com see what takes your fancy and then book a table,

Youll have a great time,

Amber

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando in Dec

I've been to all the parks between Christmas and New Years and it was the most crowded of any season I have ever seen. The saving grace is it not being hot so the lines are more bearable. Weather can be hit and miss. The year we were there they had almost record lows with frost warnings down to Winter Garden. Highs most days were barely in the 60's. New Years Eve it warmed into the 80's with very strong storms and rain beginning about 10 that night and ruining all the New Years celebrations. We're going back this year at the same time- it was the only time we could get the extended family all together.

Iowa
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando in Dec

Hi Linda k uk!

Oh Boy! It will be VERY busy. My family of 4 (hubby, dau 16 & dau 20) went during your time last year- not our first trip, tho. Busiest time we have ever been there! Epcot was absolutely beautiful, tho. Again BUSY and CROWDED.

My recommendation is this: stay at Universal, either the Hard Rock Hotel, the Portofino or the hmmm... can't recall the name... there are 3 hotels on-site...try to stay at the Hard Rock if you can, tho. It's the best. With any on-site you get a "fast pass" to ALL the rides (no limits like at Disney) with your room key. NYE at Universal Islands of Adventure is SO MUCH FUN!!! And ditto for the Hard Rock Hotel. Also, if you like rides, the rides at Universal Islands of Adventure are MUCH MUCH better than Disney.

You can buy a NYE package from City Walk (about $125/pp)- includes a headliner band outdoor concert, admission to all the bars, a wonderful outdoor buffet (excellent food!!), and free bubbly and party favors. A word of warning however about the package- we have purchased it 3 times- twice we were very pleased and felt we got more than our $$ worth, but last year we were very disappointed. Last year, we thought the teens had a better time than we did just "cruis'n" Islands of Adventure- they had bands and dances and celebrations all over the park!! And from the looks of their home video, everyone was party hardy (in a good way).

Seriously, I would NOT stay at WDW. Stay at Universal and spend a day or two visiting WDW if you want to- like I said, the lights and decorations and feel at Epcot is wonderful especially after dark- but it is incredibly crowded, and for your first visit especially, I think you would be- well- you probably would never go back!

I know it is expensive to stay at a Universal on-site hotel, especially at Xmas- but if you are going at that time of year, spend the money and just enjoy the luxury and most of all, the convience (sp- I always have trouble with that word!). Hard Rock has a GREAT pool BTW.

HAve fun! Hubby and I are also there (not all at the theme parks, we are beach'n it, too) 12/28 thru 1/5. Please ask if you have more questions. WDW is complicated. Plan, Plan, Plan.

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando in Dec

I've been to Orlando three times over the New Year's eve period. We don't normally do too much during the day of NYE, just hang out by the pool, go for dinner and then we always go to Citywalk for their NYE celebration, i've always had the best time here, loads of fun! In fact, you are now getting me thinking of ways that i can swing a NYE visit! *lol*

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando in Dec

if you are going to be in EPCOT or one of the other parks for the bells then head of to the parks early. We set off for Magic Kingdom one NYE at around 11am and found they had closed the park and weren't letting any more people in. We had dinner reservations and were in a bit of a flap. We ended up going into EPCOT and then heading over to MK when they opened the gates again later in the day.

We've also spent NYE at Seaworld a couple of times and it tends to be quieter and less crowded. Hope the weather is as good as it has been last two years- we will be in Sarasota on NYE, hopefully under a clear sky!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando in Dec

Thank you all for your replys!

We are staying in International Drive while we are there, will that make a difference?

Which parks would you recommend we visit for our 10 day trip? Is Busch Gardens worth visiting over the other theme parks in Orlando??

Sorry for the all questions but I am a first time Florida visiter and want to see as much as possible.

Also, Disney - do you need one full day for all the parks - MK, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, MGM??

Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando in Dec

If you can get a reservation, go on a private sleigh ride at the Wilderness Lodge. It was 30 dollars for a half hour. Our family loved it and sang Christmas carols the whole ride. We ate dinner at Whispering Canyon before hand and walked around the lodge to look at the decorations. Reservations are made through the WDW recreation department. It was something special and you do not have to be staying at the wilderness lodge to do it.