We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - Insurance

leigh, lancs
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire - Insurance

Hi. Normally book car hire as a package but had to re-arrange all my bookings due to collapse of Travel City Direct. I have booked a car supplied by Dollar through Car Hire Agency and have received my booking confirmation today. I upgraded to platinum cover as I thought this would cover most things but have found that the insurance doesn't cover tyres, windows, the roof, the underside or the interior. Is this normal for car hire cover?

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Special Offer
Icon Orlando, Madame Tussauds, and...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire - Insurance

I will bump You up here, since I wonder about the same Mutter

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire - Insurance

I don't know, I must admit o never looking in that much detail. Why not ring up Alamo or Hertz and ask them if their insurance covers this, or even pop into your local TA and ask them?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire - Insurance

I'd do what Phossy says too but I'm quite sure it was when we rented a car in Ireland last year that I read the same clause and was panicked (we rent cars so often here I don't read the fine print anymore). It's most likely universal legal language to hold the driver responsible for intentional damage.

Belgium
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire - Insurance

I was also wondering what is really worth and/or necessary? I am not used at all with all these terms CDW, LDW, Silver/Gold/Platinum upgrades ? What do you consider absolutely needed to take. Last time we went (at Dollar desk), we had a full size booking and the girl at the desk "forced" to to take a premium car with LDW. As we did not not know exactly what it meant and tought it was a "good" insurance we picked that one but it was twice the initial price.

So if someone could enlight the situation .....thanks a lot in advance We go on Easter next year.

Soory for the writing mistakes.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire - Insurance

Take a prepaid package everytime. Pay insurance at the desk and you will be paying over the odds, big time. The basic package, Silver or Gold dependant on company you go with, will cover you for everything you need. The higher packages add a few bells and whistles such as second driver and prepaid fuel. These are usually quite good deals in themselves, but not needed.

leigh, lancs
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire - Insurance

Sorry for delay in replying -computer went down - thank for the replies.

I will ring them tonight when I get home from work and will let you know what they say. Hubby says tyres, windows etc is fairly normal not to be covered but we are both a bit stumped by the roof bit.

Will let you know how I get on.

leigh, lancs
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire - Insurance

Have got an e-mail reply to my enquiry this morning which says that the van is fully covered in the event of an accident as we have CDW.

Not a total answer to my query with regards to the cover provided but eased my worries that I would be faced with a huge bill if we did have a crash.

We assume that the cover is limited if we damage the van due to negligence ie underside if we damge due to driving on unsuitable road, roof if we try and go under something too low.

I think maybe I worry too much.

Oh well I will forget it now - off on Wednesday and can't wait.

West Yorkshire
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire - Insurance

Have a fab time Lexi13, I have booked via agency too and I undertood Premium more or less covered you for everything you need even lost keys? Don't let them buuly you in to taking even more insurance, I have seen this on other forums and they really do try it on - apparently. We go wed 22nd from manchester

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire - Insurance

I had premium insurance from Avis this Aug/Sept and crashed my car which was towed as it wasn't drivable - I just took a accident report to the airport on day we flew home and havn't heard since - I think as long as you sign the damage waiver bit you are covered for write off. I was offered another car but was too shaken to drive for the rest of my holiday - make sure you sign everything you are meant to.

leigh, lancs
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire - Insurance

Westyorkies.

I am a bit of a pushover but am steeling myself not to be talked into anything else lol.

Hope you have a great time too.