We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UGGGHH the dollar

Chelmsford
Level Contributor
251 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
UGGGHH the dollar

Transerred my payment to crown currency on Friday, now it's rocketing. Still worth the £50 cancellation fee though at $1.82, 11c more than I had dealt on.

Advice from my friends in the know* is to hang on a bit longer as it will go up more.

Investments can go down as well as up, don't blame me.

*occasionally good-guessing city boys.

suffolk, uk
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UGGGHH the dollar

UUuuuggg, I know exactly what you mean, the only reason we didnt buy ours last week was Dh was working away and he gets a good rate from where he works, we were going to buy ours today (we go on holiday in 3 weeks) but may now hang on a little longer.

It is such a "game" and we have had it so good for such a long time!!

When are you going??

Tess

x

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
444 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UGGGHH the dollar

Its good to see the dollar rate changing in our favour again, but i was advised 2 weeks ago to buy my dollars for the impending trip (only 11 days to go) as it was dropping like a hot stone. I got it at 1.38, today its at 1.45.....eeeeekkkkk!!!!

Ah well, better safe than sorry i suppose!

Chelmsford
Level Contributor
251 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UGGGHH the dollar

I'm going to New York in Oct but Orlando next March. Last time I went is was $2 to the £, so we were totally spoilt. I'm watching XE.com as it's updated every minute while I drink tea and eat smarties...I really should be doing the ironing.

Quigley's Point...
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UGGGHH the dollar

We were lucky we changed our £ with Crown currency a while back and got $2.11 for our November holiday ..we have already ordered for next year from them and got $2..its a chance you take it can go up or down no one knows

Annie

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,204 posts
2,280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UGGGHH the dollar

Strictly speaking the pound should be higher.

But with the financial markets in turmoil, its anyone's guess.

Dorset
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UGGGHH the dollar

We go next Wednesday and I've just booked mine today. Got £1.784 which is OK. If you are leaving it to the last minute, I didn't know that Crown Currency and some others will only take a cheque or bank transfer (which costs with Barclays £20), ie they won't take a debit or credit card!!! So don't leave it too late.

London, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UGGGHH the dollar

I too was informed that the pound was around 20c overvalued and the highstreets dipped down to $1.68 so I jumped at Crown Currencys rate of $1.73. Then Lehman Brothers happened and we all know the story now. I only got £600 so lost around $30-$40 but still a pain. Like the investment banks, pre ordering currency is a gamble but where as they loose Millions every day I just loose a couple of rounds of drinks.

Chelmsford
Level Contributor
251 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UGGGHH the dollar

good attitude, Spicy. Will try to take it on the chin.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UGGGHH the dollar

Also if you pay now for money later in the year/ next year you lose the interest that money could earn.

Leatherhead, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UGGGHH the dollar

It is a long time since I bought currency in UK - best to use a debit card that does not have a currency surcharge - eg Nationwide and get your currrency from ATM. I bought tickets this week with (non--commission) credit card last week and rate was 1.82.