We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to WDW with teens

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stratford, CT
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
travel to WDW with teens

We will be at WDW from Aug. 9-14 with 3 teens--15, 18, and 20. This is will be our 4th visit, but we have not been there in 10 years. My son (20) says no one his age will be there---going somewhat under protest, but will spend a lot of time at the pools. We are at the Yacht Club. Anyone have any specific suggestions for us? We will do MK, MGM and Epcot--perhaps night activities? Thanks.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to WDW with teens

I'm surprised the 15 and 18 year olds aren't protesting. Our twenty year old was such a pain at 16 we quit taking her and now at twenty she's ready again. Yacht Club uses the Beach Club's pool which is one of the best and most popular at DW. Trust me there are a lot kids his age there but he should practice his ice breaking lines, lift a few weights and for god's sake go with at least a little tan (I live with three women, ages 49, 20 and 16 and as a father to the younger ones I'm all too aware of when their eyebrows go up). You'll need to give him as well as the other two a little freedom. We let our two girls venture off to the parks alone, with a cell phone and check in times. A little advice for you: Have a bottle of wine in the room. When they're doing the teenage pushing all your buttons thing, pour a glass of wine walk out on the deck and as the great philosopher Tommy Bahama said RELAX.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to WDW with teens

PS my kids love the Benihanna's restaurant at the LBV Hilton, and minature golf is always fun. We'd always spend a day at a waterpark, our favorite is Typhoon Lagoon but a lot of people swear by Blizzard Beach. Virgin Records at West side works and maybe dinner at Narcosse's at the Grand Floridian where you can eat see the lagoon parade and MK fireworks all in one place. You're gonna have so much fun but you personnally may need to act a little goofy(no pun intended) so the teenagers loosen up!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to WDW with teens

Do your teens enjoy video or virtual reality games? If so, suggest Disney Quest. I travel to WDW with a now 17 & 18 year old. We usually compromise and spend part of our trips at US/IOA but they find lots to do. They love Disney Quest. Last trip I took them to Pleasure Island and let them go to the Adventurers Club.

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to WDW with teens

Take em to Busch Gardens rather than MK. My kids thought it was better, i.e. Rollercoaster Rides, food, wet rides and far better value. Well worth the drive.

LLC
California
Level Contributor
221 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to WDW with teens

I personal loved it as a teen.....

MGM, Epcot, Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Blizzard Beach, Disney Quest, Old Towne in Kissimmee, Busch Gardens actually has a coaster I won't even do on. The first dip in 200' head first vertical drop with LOT of twists, loops, and a splash ending and I usually can handle all the coasters. I met may match. LOL. Sea World has some good coasters too.

There is a water park near the airport... I can't remember the name, but looks pretty good. "Water Skiing" and Tubing.

Discovery Cove is very cool. Very Expensive, but I think would be a huge hit with teens.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to WDW with teens

You picked a great resort for your kids ages. My 17 year old asked if we were going back again this Christmas. He can't wait. The pool is great for any age also they can walk the boardwalk around Crescent Lake or rent boats at the Yacht Club. Miniature Golf is also nearby. Beach Club next door has tennis and volleyball courts. One cool thing for teens to do at Magic Kingdom is to do the E-Ride Night. It lets them stay in the park after hours and ride all the rides with basicly no wait. And don't forget Downtown Disney I believe it's open until midnight. They can eat at Planet Hollywood or the Rain Forest Cafe.

Stratford, CT
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to WDW with teens

Thanks so much for the good input. Actually, my 18 year old is the one who really wants to go --the "last" family vacation before college. As for letting them go out by themselves--with the girls (15 and 18)--in light of recent events--safety is fine--with the obvious precautions? They are all really looking forward to this. And I guess my son is ready for the pool! HOw is Animal Kingdom? That is the park that I am not sure about--MK has some attractions that still appeal to us all.

Thanks again.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel to WDW with teens

I just took my 19 & 13 year old boys to Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure. We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel. They loved the Rock and Roll theme of the hotel and they went to the two parks and CityWalk as they pleased. They met friends at the pool and LOVED the front of the line access to all the rides at the two parks. They are wanting to go back next year. I highly recommend taking them to these parks. The rides are so perfect for teens and adults.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel to WDW with teens

Hello,

Animal Kingdom is great! It's not a large park but your teens probably would enjoy the Dinosaur ride, Kali River Rapids(prepare to get wet! or they do sell rain gear). Festival of the Lion King is for all ages. The Kilimanjaro Safari is really fun! You travel in a vehicle along dirt roads as your guide takes you for a fun ride among zebras, lions, elephants, all sorts of wildlife! I wouldn't miss Animal Kingdom, the teenagers might be surprised how much they end up enjoying themselves!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel to WDW with teens

As someone who went to Disney World a lot in his teens and 20's, I can assure your son that he will not be the only one there. And you can also let him know there will be plenty of cute girls in their 20's vacationing there too. I think the two older teens are old enough to venture off to Pleasure Island by themselves, with all the dance clubs there, they will sure enjoy it. You should also go to one of the water parks. Again the teenagers can go off and have fun by themselves here, and you can tell your son that there will be lots of cute girls in bikinis there.