We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

240V plugs

London, England
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
240V plugs

I am from the UK and want to take various electrical appliances when I go in August as we are staying in a villa. I know the US in on a different voltage so how can I plug in these items?

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 240V plugs

US voltage i believe is 110, so any electrical appliance from the UK you may want to use, may run slower, or may not run at all. What kind of appliances are you talking about? I've taken along my CD player before, and the radio has worked, but it didn't have enough power running through it to be able to play a CD. I managed to be able to charge my laptop battery but it took longer than it would over here. I couldn't charge my phone but managed to borrow a US charger from the hotel reception, they had loads that guests had left behind. For hair appliances, if you travel to the US a lot, it may be worth buying cheap ones from Walgreens that you can use again next time you visit.

London, England
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 240V plugs

Thanks for that. I want to charge my mobile phone and shaver. Do you know of any adapters?

Clacton-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 240V plugs

I always charge my phone and shaver with the same chargers I use here in the UK. They all work but take a little longer because of the 110v rather than our 240v.

All you need is a adaptor for your chargers that fit into the US sockets. They cost just a few quid from any electrical shop/argos or even at the airport.

London, England
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 240V plugs

Thanks for that, have one already did not know if the different voltage mattered. I just need more patience.

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 240V plugs

With phones i think it depends on the phone, my friend charged her mobile without any probs, whereas i couldn't get a peep out of mine! But i have a US charger now, which comes in very handy!

London, England
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 240V plugs

Have a motorola v3, any help? suppose I can contact motorola.

UK
Level Contributor
632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 240V plugs

We just took our Motorola adaptor with a US adaptor and it worked no problem. Same as the video camera - it just takes a bit longer!

England
Level Contributor
173 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 240V plugs

Just have a look on the adapter that you use to charge your phone up, if it says 110-240 V it will work fine in the USA.

London, England
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 240V plugs

Thank you all.