We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medicine's available from pharmacys

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
stevenage herts
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
medicine's available from pharmacys

sorry to bug everyone again, however we are taking a child with us who suffers from adha and incase of emergancy's does anyone know a pharmacy link we could look at for the basic medicines ie paracetamol syrup etc they need to be colour free etc we are planing to take enough stuff with us but you never know what could happen etc so we would rather be prepared for any thing thanks

London, England
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medicine's available from pharmacys

Try www.walgreens.com

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: medicine's available from pharmacys

Also: www.cvs.com

for the CVS store chain.

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medicine's available from pharmacys

Consult with your Doctor in the UK.

Pharmacies in the US will only dispense "over-the-counter" medicines. Any prescription medication needs to be authorized by a US-licensed physician.

You might want to bring the medicines with you.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
100 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medicine's available from pharmacys

You should absolutely take with you what you need. The laws concerning medicines are usually "stronger" in the US. Things that you can get without any hassle in europe many times needs a prescription in the US. And a prescription is normally EXPENSIVE to get in the US.

Even things that can stupid sometimes need a prescription in the US, for example normal saline (Sterile saltwater) i one liter bottles. I tried to get that once but they refused to sell it to me without prescription. I laughed and asked If it was normal that one needed prescription in the US to buy saltwater. But the kind lady informed me that it all comes down to if the package is intended for hospital use or not, no matter whats in the bottle.

The whole thing sounds stupid, but I do respect that the drug administration in the US have those rules. Each country must decide what they want !!

Peter

Wrexham,North Wales
Level Contributor
235 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medicine's available from pharmacys

Hi Folks carrying on that line of questioning is their something about the amount of 'pain killers' ie paracetamol you can bring into the USA?

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medicine's available from pharmacys

If you carry prescription medicines, they should be in the prescription bottle, with the name of the person they were prescribed to (the person carrying it). It should indicate the amount that was prescribed (number of pills, fluid ounces, etc) and the dosage.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
100 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: medicine's available from pharmacys

Wrexhamfc ! With risk of stepping over the guidelines for these forums. Paracetamol is one of those things that you can buy everywhere without a presription in the US. And it is allso cheap !

BUT remember ! Whem buying medicines in the US:

They have totally different generic names on their farmaceutical drugs in the US compared to europe. For exampel: Paracetamol in Europe goes under the name Acethaminophen in USA. And this rule covers most of the medicines. Another example: Adrenalin in Europe goes under the name Ephinefrin in the USA. And so on. So it is REALLY not recommended that you buy ANYTHING in the USA concidering medicines unless you REALLY know what you are doing. Even when it comes to prescriptionfree medicines.

Wrexham,North Wales
Level Contributor
235 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: medicine's available from pharmacys

Thanks for the replys but in the UK you are only allowe to purchase so many tablets in one go. Someone told me they get a bit 'funny' about bringing in more than about 50 paracetamol etc. I do have tablets (co codamol) on prescription but always take over the counter ones as well for the rest of the family. My husband always says i'm like a traveling chemist lol

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: medicine's available from pharmacys

Thanks Swedish... I had no idea what those medications were.

As far as quantities... If the medication is "over the counter", you can buy as much as you want. If it's prescription, usually you should limit the amounts to what you'll need during your trip, plus a little extra "just in case".

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: medicine's available from pharmacys

The customs people will get VERY odd if you're bringing in acetominophen (your paracetomol) if it has codine in it. there are both federal and state laws on prescription narcotics and strict limits on how many you can have at one time. Prescription drugs should always be in their original contaners with the prescription number and Dr's name. many state laws prohibit carrying ANY drug not in its dispensing container. You can get arrested in NJ for carrying cholesterol lowering drugs outside their pharmacey containers. Dumb, but there you go.

Liquid forms of acetominophen are readily available, including color free. To be safe, bring your own supply. I do when I travel.

Sterile saline is by prescription only. Saline solution for cleaning contacts, etc. is sold everywhere. Sterile saline is used for IV's.

Due to the increasing problems with meth, any drug, including over-the-counter (non-prescription) decongestents containing pseudoephidrine must now be signed for at many pharmacies. This is a pharmacy decision as the product is a pre-cursor drug for the manufacture of crystal meth. Rules vary by state and pharmacy chain.

I recall when I went to Egypt many years ago, if I could pronounce the name of a product, they sold it to me. Of course, it may have been a sugar pill, who knows.