We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ak and MGM in the same day?

monmouth, nj
Level Contributor
299 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Ak and MGM in the same day?

We are staying at a Disney resort (Beach club) in February. I want to take advantage of the early am hour at AK . We probably would only stay there for 3 hours at the most. I want to do MGM the 2nd half of the day. We are not renting a car. My question is twofold:

1. Is there a bus (direct or not) from AK to MGM?

2. We have illuminations dinner reservations at Mama Melrose's at 4:30 that same day. Will we have enough time to take the bus from AK to BC to freshen up, change, and take the boat to MGM arriving by 4pm? Or do you think we should go straight from AK to MGM? That would mean that we wouldn't leave MGM until after illuminations which could mean theme park time non-stop from 9am-9pm.

Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ak and MGM in the same day?

1) I am pretty sure that there was a direct bus from AK to MGM. I remembering seeing this and thinking it was odd because I thought I read on here that there were no direct busses from park to park.

2) Who are you travelling with? We just got back a few days ago and all week long we were gone to the parks from 9 am to midinght most days. We are two people aged 26 with no kids so it really depends on who you are with and if you need to take time in the middle of the day for a break. I personally wouldn't waste the time to go change.

pa
Level Contributor
55,119 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ak and MGM in the same day?

You can of coarse go to both Parks in the same day ( as long as you have a Park Hopper Ticket ) but you may not be able to do "everything" at AK. Some folks say you can do the Park in a few Hours, I have never been able to do the whole Park in a few Hours and we go 3 -4 times a year and try to every time !! With that said, you can spend 9 am - 2 pm or so and get quite abit done. Pick the best and go with it. If you leave by 2 pm and take the bus back to BC and freashen up and head over to MGM by 3:30 - 4 you should be fine. If you are having so much fun you don't want to go back to BC and stay at AK til the very last minute you can, there is a bus that go directly to MGM from AK. We've done non-stop theme park days and survived. Don't try it every day but 1 or 2 days like that is doable.

Enjoy Mama Melrose's, we ate there last month and had one of our Best Meals, yummy !

dubin ire
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ak and MGM in the same day?

Hi have just recently returned from orlando and although didn't get a chance to do AK we did spend a nearly a full day at MGM. Got there about 12 and left about 8 as we had to meet our transport bus so missed fantasmic. There was just two of us age 25 so had no bathroom breaks for kids or stopping to make sure they eat at right times. It is a park worth spending the day in if you can make it part of your plans very enjoyable. Have a great holiday

monmouth, nj
Level Contributor
299 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ak and MGM in the same day?

Thanks to everyone for your input. We are traveling with our 12 year old and we are pretty much 'Type A' theme park people. We move fast through the parks. We probably will go back to MGM another day during our trip for a more thorough visit - maybe an early am hour day. And since we are staying at BC we can get to MGM pretty conveniently.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ak and MGM in the same day?

Hi cathy,

I too recommend simply enjoying a park a day. Enjoy the Beach Club, it's our favorite Disney resort!!!!

Fayetteville, AR
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ak and MGM in the same day?

I am glad to hear you have decided to dedicate a full day to each park....you can do AK in a few hours if you just hit the highspots but there are so many things to see and enjoy that I think rushing through this park is a mistake....take your time to enjoy the treks and trails, they are lovely.....go to the shows and take the time to stop and enjoy some wonderful street music/dance performers and the parade....it's a great park and deserves a longer visit

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
452 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ak and MGM in the same day?

One advantage you may have is the time of year you are going. We have always been in the summer months when it is usually very crowded. I would think that in February, crowds should be lighter.

Get at Animal Kingdom before opening. Take advantage of FastPass.

With careful planning, you very possibly may be finished by mid-afternoon.

You might want to start your morning at AK with a character breakfast at Restaurantosaurus. It is located within AK near the Dinosaur ride.

Four characters are usually present -- Goofy, Micky, Donald and Pluto, I believe when we were there. . We booked this early, before opening, and by the time we were finished, the park was close to opening. We were able to walk right on to Dinosaur and beat the early gate people.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
396 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ak and MGM in the same day?

Hi

We are going in 3 weeks and have a day unused on our park hopper ticket, we plan on going straight to AK to do Everest then hop over to Epcot for soarin and test track, over to MK for some lunch and mickeys philharmagic and then to MGM for tower of terror and illuminations before going back to MK for the fireworks, luckily MK is open until midnight on the Tuesday before thanksgiving so we hope it won't be too crowded, we've been to all the parks many times before which is why we are being so selective and tend to skip a lot of things that you could spend all day on.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,615 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ak and MGM in the same day?

After my last visit to A.K., I'm going to modify my previous recommendations.

A.K. can be done in 1/2 day IF and only IF you skip many or all of the shows. If you are just into the rides there, you can easily cover this park in about 5 to 6 hours.

However, if you plan to attend the many shows at A.K., especially Lion King and Nemo, you are going to need the best portion of a full day.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ak and MGM in the same day?

We have just returned from Florida and stayed at the Beach Club for our 1st week. We tried to do 2 parks in one day, but it does make you extremely stressed about the travelling in between parks, which will be made worse by having an early meal reservation as well. The buses can sometimes take upto 20 mins to arrive if you hit the stop just after one has left, and if you are unlucky with timings, it can really take up a lot of your time. If you have younger children, I would definitely say less is more!