We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Uk
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

I can't comment fairly I guess on an airline which I have not flown on.....but I can summarise reviews opinions from other people who have....

"Boeing 747 seemed very old (frayed carpet/edging lifted).the in-flight entertainment system broken so no t.v./films and radio, on an 8 hour flight entertainment essential. the cookers broke down mid flight so passengers in rear did not receive cooked meal, also the front toilets broke mid flight so the rear toilets had to cope with 500 passengers"

"Aircraft was old, seats were broken, toilets broke mid way across the Atlantic and in flight entertainment was very poor - absolutely no good for under 12's as they couldn't see over the seats to see the screen!"

"but the main panels on the boeing 747-200 were stuck together with duck tape the over head lockers would not open the lights above your head would not switch on or off and the entertainment was really bad.

"The flight was OK when we finally got up in the air, but before that there were maintenance sticking things back together and as the aircraft landed there was the worst burning smell ever and I have been on 12-15 boeing 747s and I have never smelt anything like that."

The above is a selection of the comments (bad) from people who have travelled on this airline be it through Virgin (yes they used to fly virgin passengers and through Travel City Direct.

Personally, and this is my opinion- I would and will never book through TCD. Ok the prices seem tempting....but I am not willing to take the chance hoping I get one of the newer TCD branded planes.....

The most alarming comment...was the burning smell...one a tell tale sign that something is up......

I do not work for any airline or travel company either. Under no circumstances would I recommend Virgin either.

BA seems to be the best bet or one of the major American Carriers......

Yorkshire England
Level Contributor
311 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

Having flown with TCD i can only say that the flight and servise for us was excellent. None of the above things happened with my flights and it wasnt a new plane we went on but didnt look too old either. Had such a great experience withthem i am looking to book through them again and surely if they were that bad then they would be out of business by now. Flights too and from Orlando and considering we flew back when the 1st hurricane was hitting Florida we fely perfectly safe

Clacton-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

I flew with TCD in 2002. I also saw things with duct tape around them!

I wasn't at all confident when we were in the air and very glad when we landed!

Various things inside the plane were broke or loose,eg..seats,air vents etc.

This April I flew with Britannia, although it cost mre I felt more safe.

uk
Level Contributor
230 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

Hi, I have booked my Orlando holiday via TCD and if you look on their website you are able to request to fly either with TCD branded plane or via Air Atlanitc. TCD website also gives upto date info about their branded planes and they do have screens on the back of head rests, they do have a seat pitch of 32", they offer free drinks during the flight, and I was able to upgrade my bagage allowence to 40kg for an extra 15pounds. Although there have been some bad comments regarding TCD I have also heard many good comments too. I do not believe in judging until I have experienced it myself. I have flown with many good airlines - Emirates are fantastic and out do any other air company I have travel with by miles - a shame they do not fly to Orlando! I just wanted to also give you my own experience and thoughts of Virgin (which I have been holding back - but seems TCD gets so many bad reports I thought it was about time to show up what many class as the best airline ever!!) - in 2000 I flew with Virgin to New York - very sadly on the way there a man died on the plane of a heart attack and we were transfered to somewhere in Canada were we sat for 4 hours - the cabin crew were hysterical which did not help passengers who had witnised the event, on the way back we were due to land in London but to some slighty bad weather we landed in Manchester where we waited on the run way for 8 hours without any drinks or food and they would not allow us to get off the plane!!! they then bused us down to London to pick up lugage that was still in Manchester, we did not recieve our lugage until 5 days later. Everyone on the flight was very dis-satified and distressed - I wrote to Virgin to complain on how we were treated - they wrote back - they got my name totally wrong, there were so many spelling mistakes and infact the letter was a total joke. That is my reason for never flying Virgin again - in my experience their customer service and general attitude when I complained and during flights to and from New York was appalling!

Uk
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

I totally agree with you and your opinion on Virgin. It seems that Upper Class suites are better and the CATTLE pens at the rear of the plane are terrible in terms of space etc.....

Another comment would be the staff, or rather the inconsistancy of the quality of staff. I think for every 1 good hard working member of staff....there are about 10 bad ones....have a look as www.virgincrewlies.com and prepare to be shocked.

I still stand my ground on TCD though.....I had a look at their website....and sure enough they say they are introducing new 747 300's....but until they finish the contract with Air Atlanta....then I'm not going to book with them.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

sure enough they say they are introducing new 747 300's....

New to TCD but not brand new.

You know why ?

Cos Virgin are selling all their old ones to them so they can buy lots of the new Airbus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

I have recently given my opinions on a very similar forum titled Travel City Direct from the UK and there were many negative comments on TCD, however alot of these comments were from people working within the travel industry.

This just got me to thinking that I wonder whether these comments might have something to do with the fact that TCD are an independant travel company and are taking alot of business away from the regular travel agents. Obviously there are genuine people who have had unfortunate experiences with TCD but then there are people who have had a very pleasurable trip with them also.

I was also pleased to read from people who share my opinions of Virgin. I really find it hard to understand why Virgin gets so much positive feedback. They seem to get all the glory for their Transatlantic travel when they simply do not deserve it - I find their service far from superior. Miserable, lazy cabin crew too obsessed with their image to care for the passengers and extremely poor food - I have already given these comments on the other forum so I won't bore everyone again!!

I just like to see credit given where it's due and it shouldn't all go to Virgin!

Yorkshire England
Level Contributor
311 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

Must agree with you about Virgin i have travelled witht hem twice now the 2nd time only because after the 1st trip they gave me a 15% discount after i complained about something. Must agree from what i saw the flight attendants are not very helful at all and with the 2 trips i have had with them never been able to sit together as a family. The 1st time i went with them their prices were quite reasonable and now i could get at least 3 companies cheaper than them and thats not to say the quality would be inferior to Virgins just because they were cheaper

Derbyshire. UK
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

Maybe we've just been lucky with Virgin, always had very helpful staff and a smooth trip without delays! We fly with them again this November.

I've seen several threads on this forum saying that the extra Virgin charge is worth it for the seat back TV's, extra baggage allowance, Downtown Disney check in and various other reasons.

I would previously have agreed with this but when I booked this year's holiday, to the Holiday Inn International Drive, Virgin were actually CHEAPER than TCD anyway! (Identicle package, 2 adults 2 children, flying out on 10th November returning on 24th). So it just goes to show that its best to check out the deals for yourself not just make assumptions about what things are going to cost!

uk
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel City Direct- my opinion.....

never had any problems with Virgin either - service has been scaled down somewhat, but then so have all the other airlines services since sept 11th. If you want another drink - go get one, the walk will do you good!

With regard to hysterical hosties - many crew are very young and although trained to deal with such things as a heart attack etc, until you are faced with this in real life you don't know how you will react so cut them a little slack.