We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

Family of 4, 2 boys 5 & 9, what would people recommend for good dining experiences in last week of Sept 07? Do we need to be booking now or can we wait til we arrive?

It is the youngest's birthday during that week, any suggestions? I have booked a character breakfast at Cape May Cafe for the special day and would like to do something in the evening as well. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

It depends what you like. A lot of the character events will be booked now.

Given the ages, what I can think of off hand. I tried to go for lower cost, but if you are on a dining plan I can throw more in:

None of these should NEED a reservation.

In MGM - The SciFi Drive In - Shows old SF movie trailers on a huge screen and the seats are cars!

In MK - There is an italian restaurant near the entrance based on Lady and the Tramp.

In AK - Tusker house before it becomes a character buffet in Nov. Best counter service food in the park system.

These Might:

Epcot - Garden Grill - Character Dining

MK - Crystal Palace - Character Dining with a very kid friendly menu.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

Although not a huge fan of the food, the Rainforest Cafe in downtown is always a hit with the little ones, especially if they have not been before. We celebrated breakfast at the CapeMay for our then 6 year old daughter and dinner at the Rainforest and it was a fabulous day for her. I would suggest reservations with the Rainforest Cafe as this location is always busy, and be sure to let them know its for a birthday and you want the Volcano type dessert which is sure to impress any child.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
3. Re: Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

Yes we are on the dining plan. Thanks for your ideas, v helpful.

Thanks for your ideas, I think I will try to get the Rainforest Cafe for the evening, funnily enough, we were just talking about it, as there seem to be mixed reviews on it, people either loving or hating it.

Any suggestions for a romantic meal out for the parents?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

For a romantic dinner out, I would suggest the Bistro de Paris in Epcot (the restaurant upstairs, not the more crowded and noisy one downstairs). Even making your dining reservations this late, I'm pretty sure you can get into this one (They don't take reservations until either 30 or 60 days out, don't offer a kids menu, andt seem to be a fairly well-kept secret.) The setting is quiet and elegant, the food is generally wonderful, and the chocolate trio dessert is one of the best desserts I've ever had. Ask for a table for two by the window, where you can look out over World Showcase.

Other good choices for an adult meal are the California Grill at the Contemporary (probably to late to get in there, though) , Citricos at the Grand Floridian), or the Flying Fish at the Boardwalk. Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge is a good setting for an adult meal, and it usually gets good reviews. My only dinner there was good but not stellar, but I may have simply not ordered their best dishes.

For family meals - especially on your son's birthday - you might try the Prime Time Cafe at MGM, or the Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge. Both are known for making a big fuss over individual diners - calling the whole restaurant's attention to someone, as part of the entertainment. The Prime Time's food is pretty good, and while I've never been to the Whispering Canyon, my elderly parents like it for lunch (I don't think they could stand the volume for dinner though, it's apparently quite a rowdy place.) The Hoop de Doo is really fun dinner show, if you can still get in - they would also make a fuss over your son's birthday.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,031 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

for the Parents, I'd rec the Calif Grill and Citrico's as well as Narcoosee's. Just ate at Citrico's in June. Food was excellent, service could have been much better. and it wasn't cheap.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,031 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

But if you are staying near the boardwalk I might go for Flying Fish as well.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
150 reviews
7. Re: Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

Inside Magic Kingdom, there is a restaurant based on Lady and the Tramp, the name escapes me. If you go LATE (we went after fireworks) its very quiet and a nice atmosphere, and the food and the staff are wonderful. Earlier, lots of kids. My wife and I considered this the second most romantic dinner on our honeymoon in 03 (#1 is next)

If you want to break your budget (not included on standard plan) there is Victoria and Alberts in the Grand Floridian. It's a five star price fixe restuarant, the food and service are amazing (jacket required).

The California Grill was nice, but we weren't that impressed.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
150 reviews
8. Re: Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

For the kids, I'd also see if you can get a lunch spot at the Crystal Palace when you'll be in that park. Was a very nice buffet selection for adults AND kids, with Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger visiting all the tables and at one point leading a brithday parade!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
299 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

Absolutely make ressies before you go. Some people make them 180 in advance which is why some might be filled. You can always cancel.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
122 reviews
10. Re: Disney Dining - Help, where should we go?

I am not a big fan of Rainforest Cafe. Food was blah and the animatronic figures get old after a while.

A nice place to eat that actually would be good for your kids too is Coral Reef Restaurant out in Epcot. You could have dinner there then stay to watch the fireworks. The Coral Reef a glass wall that lets you watch the fish in the Living Seas exhibit while you eat. Kids love to watch the sharks, and maybe you'll get the chance to wave to one of the divers!

I always recommend getting priority seating just to be on the safe side. Program in 1-407-WDW-DINE into your cell phone so that you can call up while in the park to make reservations if necessary.

Good romantic adult dinners: Jiko's at AK Lodge, Artist's Point at Wilderness Lodge, and California Grill at the Contemporary.