We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire - anyone had any problems

England
Level Contributor
386 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire - anyone had any problems

Hi All

I'm looking at prices to hire a car direct from Orlando rather than pay the £300 + extra with the uk holiday companies. Can anyone receommend a good reliable company out there? And have any of you had any problems with any companies?

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from $54.99*
$59.00
Special Offer
Icon Orlando, Madame Tussauds, and...
21 Reviews
from $51.99*
$87.87
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
155 Reviews
from $118.99*
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,659 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire - anyone had any problems

Hi

We're in the process of looking for exactly the same thing. On Travel Supermarket, there are a number of deals for £280 for 3 weeks for a medium car. Some of them are offered by Opodo and BA.

www.travelsupermarket.com

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire - anyone had any problems

Hi there,

yescarhire.com was recommended to me and having checked numerous sites, the are coming up with the best price with everything included. Other sites are coming up with lower base prices, but by the time I add on an additional driver, they are no longer the lowest price. The Gold package with yescarhire includes additional drivers and a free tank of petrol. I have a friend who took this package in October and was very happy - everything was processed smoothly and quickly at the airport with no hard-sell on extras!

If others have better suggestions, I'll be more than interested, as car hire is the only thing I haven't gotten around to booking yet.

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire - anyone had any problems

Just tonight I got a good quote from Carhire3000.

England
Level Contributor
386 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire - anyone had any problems

Great thanks everyone - let me know how you get on with the car hire you book - I'm not going until Oct/Nov next year but I'm keen to book the flights now but it looks as if car hire direct from Orlando is cheaper than with the airline. Thanks for your info - I'll be enquiring today!

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire - anyone had any problems

If you book a fly drive with a charter company you will get a car included full cover insurance for very little more than flight only.

But do not be tempted with those which offer a "Free Car" with just insurance and local taxes to pay at pick up.

ie If you look on travel supermarket ,com for 29 Sept 07 you will see you can get ticket only with XL @ £ 335 . I have got 4 tickets and a mid size car including full insurance for £351 through TCD (the same company same flight same car. ). and its got a tank full of fuel at no extra cost.

So buying a ticket and a car separately is not necessarily the cheapest. even with the same company.

Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire - anyone had any problems

I always use uscarhire to get my cars .

they have a choice of companies and good service and prices.

http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/?villa=393

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,846 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire - anyone had any problems

A tip- if you are offered a Gold package, that usually means you'll get Alamo.

Another tip is to go to Priceline.co.uk and bid for a car that you want at a price that you want. If you use the UK site it will include all insurances. I've done it before. Go to Biddingfortravel.com to learn about priceline if you know know about it.

FIFE scotland
Level Contributor
357 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire - anyone had any problems

I have used uscarhire.co.uk at both MCO and Sanford

You can choose Dollar or Alamo.I have used Dollar.I had a cracked windshield (HAppened en route to Magic Kingdom)and we were given a new car no problems at all.

UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire - anyone had any problems

i priced a car from absolutely loads of sites and the cheapest was airline network - seven seater minivan for 3 weeks - £435 inc. all insurance taxes etc.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire - anyone had any problems

I stand corrected!

I've just requoted on uscarhire.co.uk and when I carefully read the small print I've discovered that 2 drivers are automatically covered on the silver package (Budget are coming out best over Dollar).

So I've a new lowest quote!

Also, with Budget you received the car with a full tank of petrol and return it full. With Dollar you return it empty and pay them for the full tank - I've read elsewhere on this forum that this can work out more expensive as you can fill the car yourself for less than they'll charge? Do others agree?

Thanks.