We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Tourist Question

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Canadian Tourist Question

Can someone clarify something for me? In the past when I drove to Florida, we were never required to have a passport, just a drivers license and birth cirtificate. From my understanding, this will change in 2007 so that even Canadian's will need a passport to travel to the US. Is this correct?

We are going next month and want to make sure that our drivers license and birth cirtificate will be enough.

Many Thanks!

Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Tourist Question

Yes a birth certificate and driving licence is OK until the end of this year.

But from what I understand its next year with Flights.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Tourist Question

I also have another question I forgot to ask. What is the limit of how much you can spend on items you bring back when you stay over 1 week?

london
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Tourist Question

It is now $750 Cnd for each 7 days you are away but it must be 7 whole days ie Friday to Friday you do not count the day you leave but can count the day you arrive

I hope this helps

Guelph, ON
Level Contributor
320 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Tourist Question

We bit the bullet and got passports for our trip in March. What a difference crossing the border! On our 2 previous trips we were asked for photo id and birth certificates, opening the doors to check the kids, asking alot of questions. They were asking for photo id from all the kids as well - that surprised me! Luckily the two older ones had student cards, but the youngest didn't. They even expressed frustration with that! This time, we flew right through and had the passports ready for them. Here's a tip when coming back through - make a point of having your receipts organized and right there for them to see. Seems to make a huge difference if you look organized and know what you're doing.

Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian Tourist Question

Btw, a minor correction to Wemi's posting ...

Wemi said: "It is now $750 Cnd for each 7 days you are away but it must be 7 whole days ie Friday to Friday you do not count the day you leave but can count the day you arrive"

It is not for *each* 7 days you are away, it is for any trip that is 7+ days away i.e. doesn't matter if you are away 8 days or 80 days, it is still $750 Cnd per person in your party.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian Tourist Question

Great, thanks for the help!

Ottawa,Ontario
Level Contributor
239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian Tourist Question

on the limit thingy, if you go away twice in one year, each over 7 days, can you spend $750 twice?

Ontario, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian Tourist Question

You did not mention if you were bringing kids...I presume you aren't. We too are heading to Florida, in May, and were required to get passports for our kids, as all visitors (adults and children) require government issued photo identification.

My kids did not have any other suitable photo ID, thus the need for passports. My wife and I decided to get passports for ourselves as well, even though we don't need them...YET.

london
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian Tourist Question

I'm sorry for the confusion I assumed that was clear so NO if you are away 21days you can only bring back $750 not $2,250

But you can use your childrens allowance for $750 BUT of course NOT alcohol>>>>>

Ottawa,Ontario
Level Contributor
239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian Tourist Question

wemi-- whose question are you answering? I don't see where anyone said anything about 21 days.