We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
50 reviews
Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

Hi all, we arrive in 3 weeks and staying on site. We are likely to opt out of housekeeping and claim the money. We will leave a nice tip on checkout as they will be cleaning the room however I’m wondering do we tip when we ring up for extra towels etc on a daily basis?

Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,054 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

Tipping questions run the risk of unlimited chaos here but I'll offer my opinion.

I personally tip every time I ask someone to bring something to my room.. A couple dollars to show my appreciation for them making the effort.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,849 posts
6,430 reviews
2. Re: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

You do NOT need to tip daily. Just be sure to say Thank you.

Since you are giving a big tip at the end, that is fine.

Note: Sometimes I will tip mid trip if they do something very special for you...

or if it is a holiday. I want them to have a nice day too and appreciate their efforts.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

I do tip $5 daily on the basis that it may not be the same person cleaning the room every day. I would hate to give it all to someone who has been able to benefit from a shift change. They might have just come on and got the tip. Other than that $1-$5 depending on who.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
156 reviews
4. Re: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

Since you are opting out of housekeeping, there is no need to leave a tip each day, or to tip someone who brings towels to the room.

If you want to tip the maid who cleans your room when you check out, leave the tip in the room. If the room is pretty dirty after 3 weeks of no service, I would leave $10.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
181 reviews
5. Re: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

When we called for refills on amenities, we left a tip in the room. We did not however call for fresh towels and supplies everyday. We did it once, midweek.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,814 posts
96 reviews
6. Re: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but could somebody attach a link that gives the all the specific details about opting out of mousekeeping at WDW resorts?

I need what it entails, how it works, what's furnished and not furnished, etc. Being I have a very short trip upcoming, I might want to partake.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,325 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

Same as Gehrig, when someone brings something to the room like extra towels or shampoo, we tip a couple of dollars. AND say thank you.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
20,135 posts
48 reviews
8. Re: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

Good grief- everyone says thank you - that’s just good manners - surely there’s no need to mention that 🙄

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,325 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

Actually a lot of people don't say please OR thank you. Maybe in Kelso, UK but in Orlando? Not so much. I hear a lot of people just wanting their own way and don't bother with manners. I'm old AND old fashioned.

Edited: 1:44 pm, September 24, 2018
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
20,135 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping

Disfannyc - that good to know - maybe it is an age thing - I too am old(ish) but young at heart

Reply to: Tipping if you opt out of housekeeping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted