We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

So my questions is....... if we have free wifi at our villa and there is free wifi in the parks ( although intermittent) would it be necessary to buy a SIM package including data to avoid data roaming charges with Vodafone? Sods law something would happen and I would incur charges!!

I am using my phone as a satnav with herewego or google maps so that shouldn't incur costs? I have an ANKER charger to take with me as my phone is 4 years old and drains quite quickly.

My intention is to keep on refreshing screens to get 4/5th fast passes whilst balancing the Disney Magic lol

We can contact each other via whatsapp as long as wifi is working.

What would I have to do to ensure that my home data is not used ( turn off mobile data, sorry you can tell I am not mobile savy?)

Any advice from those that have been or those that have been caught out please? It's not expensive via three network but is it necessary?

28 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

With 3 network its the same cost as using data in the UK. Its their feel at home thing.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

Thanks Ray -I know..... that why it sounds appealing to take a different sim across in my smart phone rather than worrying about unnecessary charges. But how easy is it for these data roaming chargers to apply if you know you have free wifi at your villa and in the park and are organised to download maps in advance.

It's just something else to think about, but I am trying to be organised and pre-empt any issues arising :) and it might be worth us both spending £15 for 30 days to not worry?

discuss .......lol

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
9,584 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

Even with Wi-Fi turned on, I end up using a significant amount of data every Disney trip. The signal just isn't very good and I am constantly booking/adjusting FP on the go in areas where the Wi-Fi just isn't working. I almost always have overage charges the month of a Disney trip. It's worth it to me to when I am getting us 15+ FP in one day at the Magic Kingdom though.

If you don't want to incur charges, you need to turn your data roam off or put it in airplane mode.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,420 posts
2,300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

My wife took a 3 sim package when went to Florida two years ago and it came useful, especially when someone banged into our rental car!

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,966 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

I have never used any data on my iPhone

If the villa has WiFi then obviously you don't need data, all the parks have WiFi, as do many other places - the Here we Go app uses GPS so again no data usage - just make sure the app is loaded on your phone and the Florida map is downloaded plus the voice commands before you leave the UK just to make sure there's no problem

We have used Here we Go successfully for 2 visits and use it at home as well

Obviously you won't be able to use 4G like at home

Turn off data roaming on your phone just to be sure

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

oh dear PrestonGuil but I see your point - emergency usage... tick box

15 FP's are you kidding me Anonymous? - WOW! That my intention... well not 15 but extra FP's would be great so I guess if wifi is not great you are not going to be finding them so easily with data roaming off!

Over usage charges with Vodafone could be more expensive than my Disney holiday lol..... I am being swayed towards the SIM only lol

US
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

Airplane mode and check things like app location services. Took me forever to realize why my battery was plummeting when using the wait time app at Universal despite shutting the app down when not using. Location services were in “always on”.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,966 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

Right after spouting on about not using data.....

I've just remembered I couldn't get the villa WiFi to work last year so I panicked and bought £15 of data only to find the WiFi password 5 minutes later 😡

Ended up using the purchased data in Gatwick airport

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

I’m sure Vodafone charge £5 per day if you are on pay monthly to use your text, call and data allowance, have you checked their website

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?

It's about a fiver a day....would rather pay £15 I think for 30 days....we are going for 14.

Oh no that's the sort if thing that would happen to me....it's not working it's not working.....5 mind later....oh I see now d'oh!

Reply to: Just weighing up a data usage...three mobile... necessary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted