We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

Virginia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

Please help me make a final decision!

Background: We are traveling the week before Christmas. Two boys, ages 4 & 6, and mother-in-law (almost 70) will be with us - 5 people total. She gets around okay, but can't handle a ton of walking and won't do all of the park days with us. Purpose of the trip is to relax and have some fun after a rough month. We plan to do the Mickey Christmas Party at Magic Kingdom, maybe one or two other days at Disney parks, one day at LEGOLAND and one day at Sea World, plus 2-3 down days to just rest/relax. I do not want it to be the "all in" hardcore Disney park kind of trip. We are really burned out and need a slower pace than that. (We did the big Disney trip two years ago so not concerned about missing anything.)

Help Needed: I need to decide today between 3BR/3Bath at Marriott's Grande Vista and 3BR/2Bath at Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

We are usually Marriott loyalists just because we've got a lot of points there from business travel, and are familiar with the product. We'd get the credit for nights stayed and all that. I like the idea of 3BR/3Bath. But I'm concerned about how spread out this resort is and that it might be a pain trying to get to the pool and stuff like that, especially if we got put in one of the buildings further out. Can't tell much from the photos, but seems like their pools are just "okay."

Wyndham Bonnet Creek would have to give up the third bathroom, but seems like there is more to do for the kids on the property, better pools, and perhaps a couple more restaurants as well, and it would certainly be easier to get to the Disney parks for those couple days. I am not as familiar with Wyndham properties. We can only get this for 7 nights out of 8, so would need to move for the final night (unless something becomes available), but we have an early flight on our last day, so I considered just moving to the airport hotel anyhow so we could return rental car the night before.

WBC is slightly less expensive, but cost isn't a determining factor in this case. And let's be real, who knows if swimming will even be an option (though I REALLY hope we have good weather).

What would YOU do?! Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,317 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

We prefer the Grande Vista. Very nice units and pools. There are multiple pools so you don't have to walk to a particular one unless you want to. The pools are heated but the outside air if often chilly for swimming;keep towels right by the pool edge if you do swim . Its a very easy trip to Disney,the Orlando Premium Mall,the Publix and a variety of restaurants on SR535.And I would certainly stay at the airport the night before an early flight, it makes life much easier. The Homewood Suites and Residence Inn MCO would both have units large enough for your family.

Virginia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
2. Re: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

Thank you very much for the feedback. Have you stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek also or is this just based on your pleasant experiences at Grande Vista?

Thanks again!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,317 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

We have stayed at both. If I was going to stay at Bonnet Creek, we have found the Hilton Bonnet Creek preferable to Wyndham because you can use the Waldorf Astoria pool. I only post from personal experiences.

Edited: 12:36 pm, December 04, 2017
Virginia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
4. Re: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

Thank you very much for the feedback. It looked to me like the pool situation was better at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (with many pools, lazy rivers, pirate ship, etc) than Grande Vista, so your comments are interesting and give me much to think about.

Va
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

I have stayed at both as well and prefer GV to WBC as well. Although the grounds of WBC are probably more appealing, there are so many things better I liked about GV over WBC. WBC does have a better choice of pools and is located centrally around a lake, but the reality is you are going in December and the chances of lounging by the pool are slim. For instance this weekend it will be in the 60s for highs which isn't exactly pool weather.

GV will be much more relaxed. It attracts a different clientele. Not trying to sound snobbish, but GV attracts Marriott people and the Wyndham pulls their guest by offering free stays to sell their timeshares from places like Knights Inn, Travelodge, Super 8, etc. We found GV to be much quieter and more civilized. Fewer free range kids running around yelling and screaming.

Another of my WBC gripes was the 3bdroom room location. They don't have a lot of them and the one they tried to give us was a ground floor that faced the parking lot. We ended up taking a 2bdrm because it was awful to look out over a parking lot. You could never open your windows because those same free range kids would be staring in.

I do like the room set up better at WBC, but that wouldn't be enough to sway me.

As for restaurants, I assume you will have a car and there are a lot more to choose from on I-drive than what you would find close to WBC. The GV has a restaurant on site, but you probably won't be eating there with kids. They do have a couple of snack bars which is similar to what WBC offers.

Virginia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
6. Re: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

sunngod - Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. Those are things you can't see on paper/internet! Interesting perspective. So, I already have Grande Vista booked but have been totally second guessing my decision between there, a 2BR at Marriott's Harbour Lake, and the 3BR at WBC. I have a contract for WBC in my inbox and just trying to decide if I should sign it or stick with Grande Vista. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone...

Virginia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
7. Re: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

If we stick with the 3BR at Grande Vista, any suggestions of locations that we should try to request? Since we'll have kids and MIL, something closer to amenities (pools, kids activities, etc) is probably preferable since we will use those things.

8. Re: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 pm, December 20, 2017
Edited: 11:42 pm, December 20, 2017

9. Re: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 pm, December 20, 2017

Va
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista

Have you priced Sheraton Vistana Villages? It usually prices cheaper than GV.

Reply to: Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs Marriott's Grande Vista
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted