We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR 10/18-10/20 Universal Orlando

Georgia
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
TR 10/18-10/20 Universal Orlando

Just got back home from a couple of nights in Orlando and a brief visit to Universal Studios and Islands Of Adventure. This was just a quick trip through Orlando for my DW and me after having seen Neil deGrasse Tyson in Jacksonville the night before. Amazing show and highly recommended.

We arrived fairly late in the day at Royal Pacific so just piddled around deciding what to do for dinner. We had a king suite which was very roomy and nice enough. No real complaints. We ended up having dinner at Emeril's Orlando and it was excellent. Both service and food. We split an order of stone crab claws, both had an order of barbecue shrimp, and split a steak entree. Had a couple of half bottles of nice wine with the meal. To finish we split a slice of banana pie. Had a glass of 1968 Boal Madeira as well which is an excellent vintage Madeira. D'Oliveira if anyone is interested. Headed back for some reading then bed.

Next morning up early to be in the park. This was Thursday 10/19. We arrived right about the time US opened for early admission at 7:00. Note everything from here forward includes express pass when ride related. Went straight to Daigon Alley and hopped on Gringotts. No wait. Enjoyed the ride then visited a few shops before breakfast at 8:00 in the Leaky Caldron. Good enough. Then walked around a bit more and headed for the train to Hogsmead at 9:00. No wait. Arrived in Hogsmead and went directly to Forbidden Journey. No wait. Brilliant ride and one of my favorites. We then headed over to Kong and rode that with no wait. You get my drift here. Slower than normal day with early entry and express pass gets you through a lot of stuff by the time most people are entering the park.

Walked around IOA and did a couple more rides, then started thinking about lunch. We ended up having a slice of pepperoni pizza at Cafe 4. This is not the pizza you would expect in Rome, Florence, or even NYC. It has a slightly sweet, tomato paste type sauce along with a doughy crust at the edges. My kids loved this when they were young and it brings back great memories. I've developed a bit of taste for it myself. After that we shopped some, relaxed some, and napped some. Then headed for dinner at Tchoup Chop. I've been before and it was much better. The food on this occasion was pretty good though not stellar. The service was friendly but slow and disorganized. I'll give it another chance sometime. In the bed fairly early.

Up this morning not quite as early. Stored our luggage and hit the parks for a few rides before returning to the hotel, collecting all of our stuff, and heading home. Now sitting here with a glass of Laphroaig thinking about starting dinner. Maybe I'll have a second glass before dinner, who knows?

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Universal Studios Florida
Universal Studios Florida
33,792 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Emeril's Orlando
Emeril's Orlando
1,773 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Florence
Florence
South Carolina
7 replies to this topic
manchester england
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR 10/18-10/20 Universal Orlando

wow short sweet trip you got most things done nice food and some great rides

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
8,168 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR 10/18-10/20 Universal Orlando

This would be my kind of trip if lived closer. Even going for 4 or 5 days from Scotland would still be a killer on jet lag later.

Staying on site is the best with the Express Passes, we did Portofino, now thats a lovely hotel.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,028 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR 10/18-10/20 Universal Orlando

We love staying on site at universal too... nothing better than the freedom of early entry.

Thanks for posting.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,776 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR 10/18-10/20 Universal Orlando

What a difference it makes when you don’t have to pay a fortune for flights - how lucky to be able to get in a quick visit where you can have a couple of nights somewhere nice and eat in good restaurants without it costing an arm and a leg

Not jealous at all - honestly 😉

A good summary of your break - thanks

Georgia
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR 10/18-10/20 Universal Orlando

Yeah, it's nice to be close. We're about a 3.5 hour drive away. Every place has its perks though. I would love to be able to spend a last minute weekend in London or take the train to Paris for a couple of nights. Scotland is so beautiful just living there is a perk! All of us on TA who love to travel and see the sights are very fortunate in many ways. Thanks for reading and responding!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,776 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR 10/18-10/20 Universal Orlando

Yep I just love driving to Edinburgh and wandering around in the rain ☔️ lol

I get what you are saying though - the grass is always greener as they say

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
30,397 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR 10/18-10/20 Universal Orlando

Glad you had a good time at Universal and yes it great when you go and there is no lines we always go in the summertime but next time it will be September or October.

Reply to: TR 10/18-10/20 Universal Orlando
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted